Need some guidance.

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Linemanof5, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Linemanof5

Linemanof5
    Expand Collapse

Hello there. My wife and 3 kids are moving from Southern CA to TN, about 45 min South of Nashville.
    One of my kids has special needs- wheelchair, feeding tube for food, he requires 24 hour care due to severe brain injury at birth. With his high level of care we cannot drive in a minivan etc. Additionally, with current events and all in our great country, he (we) cannot fly either, as we’ve done for annual family visits. I would say it sounds counter intuitive with those mentioned “special circumstances”
    to want to drive across the USA in an RV especially with the Covid. Well, we have no choice, and this is time it’s permanent for the wife and kids until I find work in middle TN as a Lineman.
    So we must drive in an RV, in May.
    Seeing as I don’t own an RV I’ll be renting from Cruise America or the like. With all that said, can anyone suggest a starting point when utilizing the RV Trip Wizard app, as well as provide any other suggestions for getting started and utilizing RV travel planning apps. Thanks. I’m also willing to email if necessary provided anyone is willing to provide more detailed information that others might not be interested in reading. I’d like to do more with contributing to this app other than request help right out of the gate, but that’s where I’m at. Thanks again in advance.

2. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Greetings Linemanof5;

I think you are making a wise choice given your circumstances. An RV allows you to minimize contact with other people and you will know that only your family will be using your bathroom facilities. Meals will be healthier (if you want) and tastier than restaurants and fast food joints. You can provide specific entertainment for your family to keep them occupied.

What to consider before you embark. First and foremost I would say is Plan your route and then consider travel time. How far and how long will you subject your family to being on the road? To be fair, I would start light. Perhaps three or four hours per day and then go from there. Once you have that figured, you can then plan your nightly stops. I use Google Earth to plan my prelim route. It gives me rough times and distances between stops. (I have NOT used Trip Wizard so I can not offer any guidance with it’s use.) Once you know where you would like to stop you can check Campground Reviews for availability. In your case, I would be booking at least two days ahead. Reservations are a must these days if you are planning to stop at RV Parks. Even if you plan on doing some “boon docking” I would phone ahead. There are some cities where stopping at a Walmart parking lot is not legal. You may want to consider State or County parks. They are usually less expensive than Private parks but will have fewer amenities such as Wifi, Cable TV etc.

Are you planning to do any sightseeing or are your just going to cannonball through? May is a good time to be travelling. It shouldn’t be too hot yet but warm enough to be comfortable outside. If you can afford some extra time, there is a lot to see between California and Tennessee. You will be close to some historic Route 66 town. Some are worth a visit. If you are not sure what to see and where to go....one of my favourite Google searches is “What to see and do” in what ever State or City you plan on visiting.

I hope I have been able to give you a little insight. Feel free to ask away.

There are a lot of folks that are very willing to give you their two cents worth.

Good luck

Darrell

Darrell

Paythebill and BankShot like this.
  3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hi Linemanof5 and welcome to the forum. Darrell pretty much summed it up but I will add one additional thing for you to check on. During this time the country is going thru many RV parks and state campgrounds are currently closed with no reopening date. It might be a good idea to get a route outlined and on paper and then start plotting out daily driving distances on a map. Once you have found a city or town you feel is distance enough for one day then check CGR for parks in that general area and make calls to find which ones are open or closed. With your son you will no doubt need a confirmed reservation for the night and having one in advance will alleviate your having to search for one once you get to your stopover place. Best wishes to you and your family for a safe and healthy trip and same for your finding a new job in as short a time as possible...........

Regards, BankShot...............(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  4. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I see you have heard of RV Trip Wizard. It is a great tool for planning your trip, and there is a demo to help you get started. There are many settings that will help you calculate your daily driving distance, and then it will show you RV parks in the area. Once the parks are displayed along your route, you can click on them to see the Campground Reviews listing. I usually let the program plan the whole trip from beginning to end to get the over all picture, but then I make separate trips for each leg or day of travel. I think this makes the information a little easier to handle. If you have trouble using the program, you can get help by clicking on your username in the upper right corner of the page and then choose Help in the drop down menu. I hope you will use this tool and that it will be very helpful for you.

Paythebill likes this.
  5. Linemanof5

Linemanof5
    Expand Collapse

Thanks guys, for quick responses.
    I’m plan on being behind a wheel from 6-10 hrs a day, pending conditions and fatigue etc. I agree on more control of food and liquids also restroom facilities would be our control while in RV. Which makes my wife a bit more comfortable with it. As far as sight seeing, (I guess) we pad a few days on the front or back half of net time allotment but since the country is virtually closed I’m not planning on much in the way of extraordinary sight seeing. Truth is we need to get to TN and this RV seems to be the only catalyst that can transport our lil crew here, with all the variables. Again, versus a quick flight (airlines say no) OR in comparison to a leisure type family thing, RV style. I hate to say it but I might look and plan ahead for actual hotels within say 100 miles plus/minus of our intended or estimated nightly stopping locations. Example- (day 1) we make it to Kingman or thereabouts in a 30’ RV after leaving before sunrise, on a late weekday. - So we reserve and safely arrive @ motel #1 and stay night 1. RV parks are likely closed that close to CA. Days 2 - 5/6... repeat.

So I’m thinking I’ll plan 10 hrs a day @ X speed limit, should get us ______ so far... then search for and reserve hotels within 50 miles ahead of or up to that expected location.

All that above VERSUS rolling dice as to what whether or not RV accommodating locations (either formal or Wal Mart status) are even open and available near whenever we end up each evening. The RV will just be a “comfy bus” with a fridge, toilet and all that for the family versus, a temporary house- that is unless we HAVE TO.

a 30’ rented RV class C (I do have a Class A- I operate line trucks / utility bucket trucks for work) should be about 12’ 6” on the high side according to what I’ve read. & 8’6” wide. That and 12k lbs just a vehicle plus, family, all our crap and liquids. Anyways I should base my traveling distance estimates on those factors. Plus stops for other 2 outta 3 kids to stretch legs and all that. Unforeseens also such inclement weather or route issues.

Anyways I think I’ll start with assuming the RV for sleeping and evenings is a backup to the “preferred” result of driving right into a motel each evening so the sake of my son and sanity of my wife. Also creature comforts for a family who’s never spent any amount of time RV’ing 2000 miles away together for 4-7 days. So yea... I think that’s where I’ll mentally approach the plan.

sorry if it’s taboo to bring up motels on your RV website but I figured I’d consult the veterans for research versus wingin it. I’m sure you guys would rather talk about actual RV’in. Some of this stuff is coming to me as I’m typing to please bare with me. And thanks

I’ve still need to figure out bare bones basics such as 10 versus the 40 state highways and which route will be better for getting from motel to motel in an RV.

6. Linemanof5

Linemanof5
    Expand Collapse

thanks for recommending the campground reviews. I’ve downloaded it all to the best of my ability and will begin to figure out the app tomorrow.

7. Amanda L

Amanda L
    Expand Collapse

Another thing to consider is fuel stops along the way. You will want to not only map out your route, but will want to determine how far apart fuel stations can be found, if they are open, and if they are accessible to your RV. If you are diesel-powered, you will want to confirm that they have diesel.

Personally, I would determine about how far you want to drive ahead of time, then go ahead and book RV sites at those intervals. Bring additional food and WATER, especially when traveling through hot and/or desert areas.

8. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

I know you probably have time constraints but I always advise folks new to RVs to not try to drive them like a car. When traveling by car, you try to go as far as you can, and then get to a hotel as late as possible.

With a motor home, you will find it better to stop around 4 or 5:00 so you have time to set up, have dinner in the coach, and maybe take a walk around the RV park or play a board game before bed.

Just a thought. Looks like you are using all the right tools (including this website) to make the best of the trip. Also check out Gasbuddy to save on fuel, and keep your speed at or under 65mph to also save on fuel.

Chris g.