Switching to Dish TV

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Murray Mathew, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Murray Mathew

Murray Mathew
    Expand Collapse

I would like advice on what Dish setup is best for me.

Home: 5 tv’s, need DVR to record. Wireless would be nice, but not a deal breaker.

MH: 3 tv’s, do not need to watch separate programs. Need portable Dish satellite(I have a tripod). Is it feasible to take a receiver from the house and place in the MH? Do not need to watch tv while driving. Just me and my DW.

Thanks in advance with your help...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. lianot

lianot
    Expand Collapse

i never thought about it

3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

A Dish Hopper 3 DVR receiver and 4 Joeys would do what you want in the house. The Hopper 3 could be moved to the RV as needed and a couple of the Joeys could be used to feed 2 other TV's. A tripod mounted 1000.2 manually aimed dish would serve as the antenna, and having both eastern and western arc hybrid LNB's on hand would give you maximum aiming capability. Moving the Hopper to the RV will leave the house with no satellite service if that's an issue.

Paythebill likes this.
  4. Violett

Violett
    Expand Collapse

On the road it is better to bring a flash drive with movies and music. At home we watch TV on the Smart App

Pvwashington likes this.
  5. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Not "better" for us... We prefer to keep up on current events in the communities we visit as well as watching the same programming that sticks & bricks dwellers watch where ever we are. Streaming has added more flexibility to our TV watching, but until reliable Internet service is available everywhere, it won't replace our Dish satellite service.

Paythebill likes this.
  6. Violett

Violett
    Expand Collapse

sorry, I understand you
    I listen most of the news on the radio. On the journey of the news channel I can see in the cafe . On the contrary, I try to disconnect from the news.

7. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

We have a dome mounted Direct TV satellite dish on our coach. We live several miles outside of Auburn, CA and we are able to get local channel reception as far north as Winchester Bay, OR and south to about Bakersfield when the signal starts to fade out due to the LA signal taking over. We enjoy the local news so as to keep up on what's happening in our neighborhood. The dome set up works for us because we don't have to be constantly setting up and putting away a portable dish every time we dock for the night. Just makes sense to me but we have seen quite a few RVs using portable setups so they must be serving the purpose for those folks. Dish or Direct have dome setups in various configurations so having one or four TVs in the RV shouldn't be a problem, it's just a matter of how deep your wallet is and how many TVs you want to watch different programs on at the same time. I've been inside a few coaches that have four TVs with separate feeds and controls for each one so Dad can watch a ballgame :), mom can watch Rachel Ray :rolleyes:, one kid can watch the latest Spiderman movie :cool: and the other can watch Zombie movies :eek:. To each their own............... :D

BankShot...........(aka Terry)

Pvwashington, NYDutch and Paythebill like this.
  8. Netiquette

Netiquette
    Expand Collapse

I also use flash drive when playing movies and music.

9. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Note that the dome style dishes only allow receiving multiple programs when they're on the same satellite. We use a portable tripod mounted dish that receives three satellites at once and let's us use a receiver/DVR that can watch/record multiple channels on multiple satellites at the same time. My setup time is typically 10-15 minutes and being portable, I can locate the dish wherever it gets the clearest view of the satellites regardless of how much tree cover there is on a given site. These days though, for one night stays we often just stream our TV programs, saving the dish setup for longer stays.

Paythebill likes this.
  10. We2AreUs

We2AreUs
    Expand Collapse

We dropped DirecTV a few years ago and have gone with YouTubeTV. This way we don't have to worry about trees, coverage, or satellites. Works great.

11. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

As long as you're in an area with good Internet service... :)

#11 NYDutch, May 7, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2020
  12. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

These days, finding acceptable internet service is getting easier and easier as coverage areas continue to expand. Furthermore, many of us who full-time and/or who work from the road maintain connections with more than one cellular carrier in order to have a certain degree of redundancy. When used in a Load Balancing router, multiple connections can go a long ways towards ensuring the ability to stream video under most circumstances.

For example, at my home location in south TX, I am using my park's wifi plus three additional unlimited cellular connections in order to ensure that I have a video-capable internet connection 24/7. The major streaming services (Netflix, Prime, YouTube TV, etc) have differing ability to deal with degraded internet speeds, but, for the most part, I can get a watchable video stream as long as I can maintain >1 Mbps on all or most of my connections.

13. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Yes, it has gotten easier in many areas, but there are still a number of camping areas in the country where RV park WiFi is inadequate and cell service is either non-existent or limited to just one carrier. The majority of RV'ers are part-timers that likely will not want to make the investment and ongoing commitment in the technology that you and I might. Streaming is not the best answer for everyone at this point.

14. We2AreUs

We2AreUs
    Expand Collapse

We have a Mi-Fi hotspot device from Verizon....been using it for over 5 years. Works great.

15. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

We have Verizon and AT&T hotspots that work great as long as we're in range of one or the other's towers. Even with our Max Amp RV cell booster though, there are still areas we've been where the bandwidth wasn't adequate for reliable streaming.