small portable heater recommendations?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Ketelmeister, May 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ketelmeister

Ketelmeister
    Expand Collapse

I have central heat in trailer, but want to add a small heater to save on gas when parked. Looking for ceramic probably and would like it very quiet. Any recommendations?

2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I assume you realize that all electric heaters of the same wattage produce exactly the same amount of heat. You can pay for extra features but don't be fooled by those who would want you to believe that their heaters are "better".

We have a Vornado heater primarily because it has a very low output temperature and, therefore, poses little risk even if something were to fall over it.

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We also have a Vernado and have been very pleased with it.

4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

For times when we don't want to fire up the furnace we use a Bionaire BCH9212 portable space heater. It a thin upright with several heat settings as well as it can either heat in one single direction or rotate to move the heat in arc of about 120 degrees. Does a great job of taking the chill off on colder mornings. Don't remember where we got it or what we paid for it but I know it wasn't all that much. We really like this little heater as it doesn't take up much of a footprint and can be easily stored away when not in use...................

BankShot..............(aka Terry)

5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Forgot to note in above post that this heater also has a built in timer and a small remote that can be used to control it so you can shut it off at night or turn it on in the morning from the bed. Have used that feature quite a few times. The model mentioned has been replaced by a newer unit but some internet sellers are still offering it. It is a ceramic heater and current cost is about $55. New and similar units are also available....................

BankShot.............(aka Terry)

6. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I've been told to look for the three plug electric heaters (ground plug) as most are OSHA approved. Also with tip switchs.

This said the one I have is a 2 plug el cheapo that I have had for years... it does the job.

Mike

7. ThomasCamper

ThomasCamper
    Expand Collapse

The ceramic heater is probably the best choice when you looking for a not expensive heater for occasional use, but I also would consider an infrared heater - it transfers warmth to objects rather than simply blowing hot air into space, so you can also use it even outside of RV.

8. Hitch2go

Hitch2go
    Expand Collapse

9. Webmstr

Webmstr
    Expand Collapse

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.