Weighed Rig ,need help on #’s

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by Mrrobalo, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Mrrobalo

Mrrobalo
    Expand Collapse

We just took our second trip in our Keystone Bullet 220RBI with dry weight 4664 And GVWR 6400 . Tow vehicle is 2012 Dodge Durango R/T with dry weight 5350 lbs.
    I have a Equalizer 10,000 lb weight distribution hitch on it and adjusted so rig is level. We had it loaded like we would travel 2 coolers full ice n drinks, water tank full, dual deep cycle batteries . We took it to get weighed at our transfer station on our way to the campground. We rolled on and Durango and trailers combined weighed Was 12,300 lbs and He had Me pull forward so that just the trailer wheels were on it and the weight was 5320.lbs If I understand the formula right I think I’m not overloaded, But just want to find out from those who know More than I do just to be on the safe side. I’ve only pulled it at highway speeds for 20 miles and the rest around town but seems to pull fine. I was in the marine boat manufacturing Industry most my life and have towed large boats all my life but will admit a travel trailer is totally different.
    Any info will be appreciated,Thank You
    18F14C61-0976-4DC6-A8A8-52410B9484A9.jpeg

2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

This is what I could find about your Durango:

Durango's rear-wheel-drive architecture means better towing. All models are rated to handle a 5,000-pound trailer. With the tow package, the V6 rates 6,200 pounds and the V8 7,400 pounds max. A fully loaded vehicle generally means 1,000-1,500 pounds off those maximums, but in all cases the Durango has the best tow ratings in its class.

From the scale data you've provided you are carrying 1,630 lbs in the Durango above its dry weight but I don't know if those towing ratings were based on dry or "curb" weights.

You don't say which engine you have, so it's impossible to know precisely what your limits are, but you are definitely close. AFAIK having a weight-distributing hitch doesn't increase your GCWR.

Here's a link to the article about the 2012 Durango: https://www.newcartestdrive.com/reviews/2012-dodge-durango/#:~:text=Durango's rear-wheel-drive architecture,the V8 7,400 pounds max.

3. Mrrobalo

Mrrobalo
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the reply. The R/T model is 5.7 Hemi with Factory TOW Package ( includes 20” wheels, oversized radiator and extra fan, tranny cooler, Oversized brakes, Trailer brake switch, HD alternator with 7 pin Charging plug, Self adjusting shocks, Factory receiver hitch and Multi function vehicle monitoring. She has a tow railing of 7400 lbs. I received my info from Dodge , you can give them your VIN and they will send you the build sheet for those of us who were the second owner. Hopefully this info might help. Thank You