Rv Gas Grills

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Northernmom, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Northernmom

Northernmom
    Expand Collapse

Can anyone give me reviews on an Olympian 5100 Elite Rv gas grill? We are looking at buying one for the outside of our popup, but we can not find any reviews on it or if it is worth the money. We can buy one from a RV dealership for $100 (retails for $200), they seem to be getting rid of all of them and they want them off their shelves. We are also looking at an RVQ II grill. Which is better. We already have a RVQ grill for the outside, but it is the older model. Any info would help, thanks.

2. TXBobcat

TXBobcat
    Expand Collapse

Northermom
    I did a google on the olympian 5100 Elete RV Gas Grill.
    http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/bbq-gri...v-gas-grill.htm
    Found this one on the search. It is full retail for $111 and on sale for $99. I am not sure if that is a good Grill. Many of the persons that I have med use the Webber Grill. We are using the Weber Mini Grill and set it on a table. We use a 20# propane bottle with a hose to connect to it. We keep the propane bottle in a plastic milk carton. Makes it easier to move and store. It does not roll around.

We use to have a Starcraft Pop up camper. Loved that trailer. We were younger and didn't mind the work to set it up.

Travel safe & may God Bless
    BC

3. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

We also use the Weber Gas Grille, model #200. Have purchased and used numerous inexpensive and some not so inexpensive grilles over the years, but the Weber 200 is the best for us... at least you can buy parts for any repairs, if needed. We use a 5# LP tank, small in size, does not take up much room, and will last at least 3to4 weekends of average cook times. Works for us.....good luck...happy camping....

PS,

We have an Olympian 4100 grille that we just retired. The reason for replacement was the replacement parts for repair were not ready available, plus it was not equipted with an ignitor and was a pain to hand ignite. Also took some time to reach it's full operating temperature.

4. Northernmom

Northernmom
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the info. We have looked at the Weber and have considered it. It's good to know that it is difficult to get parts for the Olympian. Never thought about that.

5. jhonmiller

jhonmiller
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for such healthy discussion on the topic of Grills. It really help me out in getting the valueable insight.

6. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I realize this thread is concerning gas grills and we did own and use one for many years prior to making a changeover to a portable Weber electric grill. It simply got old carrying around either a half dozen or so small propane bottles or one large 5 or 10 gallon one that took up a bit of storage space not to mention it possibly being flammable if stored for too long in a hot storage bay. I am on old time charcoal grill guy myself but that was out of the question for use with an RV, hence I was convinced by "the boss" to switch to electric. It may not do quite as good a job as a gas grill but it ain't too shabby either and certainly a lot quicker and easier to use. Just my opinion of course but thought I'd throw this into the "grill mix" just to put in my nickel's worth......:D Oh, and by the way, at home we did recently switch over to a nice big gas grill and I have found it to be every bit as good to cook on as the charcoal one we had prior. Only thing is that the pieces of Apple or Cherry wood that I used with the charcoal don't do very well on a gas grill. That's the only negative in that regard.............:(

Great grilling to all, BankShot...............(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  7. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I gave up the small propane bottles years ago and use an adapter which allows the Weber to be connected to a standard tank. We have 3 gal tank that we carry with us; large enough not to need constant filling but smaller than the standard home tank.

As for carrying it in a storage space, I would think that's a no-no for the same reason that you aren't allowed to carry propane tanks into stores. Propane is heavier than air and collects in low places. I would never permit it inside our MH. We carry our tank in the back of our toad vehicle.

FWIW the one pound disposable tanks are specifically exempted from the rules on indoor storage of tanks which is why they can be sold in stores.

Paythebill likes this.
  8. fairyson

fairyson
    Expand Collapse

Pellet grills have significantly less malignant growth causing cancer-causing agents and the majority of the notable organizations like Treager produce their pellet grills with at least two shields that come in the middle of your food and the warmth source and this implies the potential cancer-causing agent fat beads come up short on the chamber into a basin that is outwardly of the Grill. Along these lines the conceivably perilous fat never gets an opportunity to trickle down into the warmth source which is the fire.

9. zeeshanmoroo

zeeshanmoroo
    Expand Collapse

Traeger grills likewise utilize almost no force. The initial couple of moments of activity, it requires 300 watts. However, that is just for the underlying warming up. After that it just uses 50 watts, which is not exactly your normal pair of lights.