Crawlspace Camper

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by treesprite, Jan 22, 2020.

1. RideSlow2004

RideSlow2004
    Expand Collapse

Absolutely amazing!!!

treesprite likes this.
  2. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, Rideslow.

The back piece to the floor, which was basically a long, narrow curved piece, managed to fall over at just the right angle to slip through the rails of the 15th floor balcony. Thankfully it went in a spot where people don't go, so no one got hurt. The piece, however, is broken. I dont know if I'll make another one, since it is such a narrow piece and I don't want to go get a piece of wood and take out all the tools and stuff again. It was hard to get that curve done properly, I was proud of it.

3. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

I'll be headed out to Blackwater Falls in WV around 1230pm today. I got the furnitures in the car, but when I secured the bed base to the floor with brackets, I did it a few inches too far up, so I'll be bringing a screw driver with me (such a small space makes every inch crucial). One part of the wood base I made for the cabinets is affected by a contour I Wasn't aware of, so I'm going to bring a saw with me to remove a 1 to 2 inch lower corner (the piece is 18.5" wide, so taking out a corner won't compromise the support).

I had changed my plan for how to make a bed-seat conversion, but upon further examination realized it probably wouldn't work because of a 1" of overlap of things. So, I went with a new plan, got the bed stuff in the car and discovered it won't precisely work either. I might be able to adjust something, but I'm not sure if I want to do it right now.

This is without the bed installed. When the bed is in, there are several inches between the bed and cabinets, which allows me to be able to get to those bottom spaces where junk will be stashed. The one picture makes it look like the cabinet is up against the driver seat, but there is actually enough space there for a travel potty, and for me to sort of 3/4th of the way stand up (everywhere else in the car is sitting, laying, crawling around territory).
    IMG_20200818_011141.jpg
    IMG_20200818_011304.jpg

#23 treesprite, Aug 18, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    NYDutch and Rollin Ollens like this.
  4. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

5. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

watched the video, nice work, looks great! :cool:

Mike

6. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

7. beverlynrobinson

beverlynrobinson
    Expand Collapse

As far as RVs go, pop-up campers are the most wallet-friendly option on the market. If you only camp a few times per year, it may not be worth it to you to spend lots of money on a full-size travel trailer. You can get a pop-up at a fraction of the cost. They cost less to start, and they're cheaper to insure too.

8. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

This doesn't work for people who can't tow anything. Strange as it may seem, although Kia Soul is recommended overseas for towing, towing with it in the USA will void any warranty.

Seeing as the popping out parts are a fabric type of material, I kind of see the pop-up as a tent with a hard roof and floor. When I use a tent, I put a table and chairs, a portable toilet, fan, heater, and all sorts of things in it. I have even cooked on an electric burner in a tent. Why pay a bunch of money and put all that wear and tear on a car just to have a hard floor and roof? I can get a decent tent for $100 bucks and no strain of towing on the car, no having to have towing bar added to the car - that alone will cost a couple hundred bucks on top of the cost. No need to pay for insurance for a tent either. If you're going to go to the trouble and cost of towing something, tow something with hard walls so no campground axe murderer can cut his way silently in while you're asleep.

#28 treesprite, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020