Blackwater Falls closing for 8 months

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by treesprite, Sep 25, 2020.

1. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

I'm here at Blackwater Falls State Park, in Davis, WV. Yesterday, the gov of WV was here, announcing formally the renovation plans. Starting Nov 1st, the lodge and campground will be closed for 8 months. The campground presently only has power on about 1/3 of sites, and there is no wifi. When it re-opens, every site will have electricity and there will be wifi service. Rates are going to be raised. There has been no mention in the plans of adding water hookups, but the bath houses are going to be re-done.

That was yesterday's bad news. Today's bad thing is that I got lost on forested mountain trails by myself, while having an asthma attack, when it was starting to get dark, because between the attack and the Albuterol side effects, I got a bit disoriented and missed something somehow. Finally found a spot where my phone had a signal just long enough to call the park office. Park superintendents came out to rescue me (I was at that point on the only trail that is accessible at all by a 4wd vehicle). There was actually a log in the way, so the guys had to get out and tie a strap to it and drag it out of the way before we could get off the trail to the road. After recovering, I and trip buddy went to town for food. I was using a company van (it's a business trip, taking disabled client). Got back in the van with the pizza and the van was completely dead. There are no means of transportation besides personal cars and feet here. I had all kinds of thoughts going on. After calling my boss and trying to figure out what to do next, I popped the hood and found the problem was just a loose battery cable. I have no way to tighten it, so it might be a problem on the 3 hour trip home. It's just very hard to deal with those situations while jacked up on/mentally compromised from all the Albuterol from earlier (had to use the inhaler 3 different times while on the trails).

Hopefully my next trip here, which is supposed to be in 3 weeks (and is a personal rather than work trip), goes better than this one has. That is, if I can get a reservation because fall is peak time at BWF (can't make reservation yet, gotta work out details). I was going to come in winter for the snow, but unless there is a cabin available (not likely) it probably won't happen with the lodge being closed.

Just remember, the only thing that will be opened starting Nov 1st will be cabins, for 8 months. Canaan Valley is about 15 miles from here, so that could be an alternative for an RV.

2. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Wow, you had one crazy day. Hope your next trip to Blackwater Falls turns out better.

3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

For the loose battery cable, try wedging whatever you have available between the post and the clamp. Even a toothpick or a sliver of wood will work temporarily, but a piece of foil is a better choice if available. For the long drive, I suggest stopping at the first hardware or auto parts store you see and buy an adjustable wrench or pliers to tighten the clamp.

4. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the advice. I'm would do that if it was my car, but I'm hesitant to do anything with a company vehicle. I'll find something just in case it does come loose again. This battery was switched on the fly with one of the other company vans. I went to pick up the van, first one I packed my stuff into had a flat tire with big screw in it. Moved the stuff to another van (this one) and it had a dead battery, battery wouldn't charge. Moved stuff to a 3rd and last van, got out of the parking lot, stepped on the gas to go on the road and nothing, had the pedal to the floor. Took everything out of that van and waited for co-worker who deals with car stuff to arrive. He switched the batteries around with the van that wasn't getting any juice. Packed my stuff a second time into this van, picked up client and came here. Crazy thing is, all 3 vans had been serviced within the last 2 weeks.

5. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

You have the law of averages working on your side, I'm sure your next trip and many after will work out fine, sounds like a gorgeous park!

enjoy your next trip! :cool:

Mike

6. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

That happened to me yrs ago with a farm tractor someone lent me, clamp screws were completely rusted though, I ended up clipping off a piece of metal coat hanger and wedging it between the post and clamp

worked like a charm

NYDutch likes this.
  7. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Temporarily wedging something in the clamp to get you safely home should not cause any problems with your employer. Tightening the clamp would be a more permanent fix, but that shouldn't be a problem either. If your co-worker had done it correctly in the first place, you wouldn't be having this problem.

8. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

We got back without further incident with the van.

I tried to use the online system to get a reservation for mid October, for 3 nights. Nothing aside from non electric campsites. I tried changing dates and reducing to 2 nights, but still just non electric sites. No cabins or lodge rooms. The guy at the lodge desk told me some of the cabins and rooms are grayed out due to being short staffed for housekeeping, so maybe we spots will open up. That doesn't help anyone wanting a campsite with electricity. It's too cold at night there in October to not have a heater, and for me that would mean electricity.

9. Linking24

Linking24
    Expand Collapse

Crazy!

10. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

I was there, left on the 30th with one day left until next summer. Should be re-opened right around the time we start getting covid-19 vaccinations. There's a privately owned souvenir shop on the road that leads into the park, I always go in and talk to the owner if the shop is open when I'm there. She is going to lose a good bit of income due to the closing, after already being hit with a loss due to the Covid-19 shut down a few months ago.

I was trying to see if I could get a reservation for the campground at Canaan Valley, which is a bit down the main road from BWF, but the online reservation system hasn't been working properly. I found out recently that a lot of the spaces at that campground get filled by ski instructors in winter. Canaan has electricity in winter, but water hookups are turned off, have to get water from the bath house.