Anyone else wish the reviews included scenic value??

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by CHeller, Nov 19, 2020.

?

Who would like to have a scenic rating included in reviews?

1. Yes please—I love scenic beauty!

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No thanks—I just need a convenient place to rest my head

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. CHeller

CHeller
    Expand Collapse

I love this website and the insight is so valuable when we plan our trips. But does anyone else wish that the creators included a scenic value for campgrounds???
    I know we sure would. After all, campgrounds serve a different purpose to a lot of different people. I’ll drive hours to get to a beautiful location but if it’s just highly rated because it had clean bathrooms and good wifi, I’m extremely disappointed. Thoughts?

2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Are you suggesting a "scenic rating" for the RV park itself? Or the surrounding area, in which case up to what distance?

BankShot likes this.
  3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hi CHeller..........

I've always believed that beauty/scenery is in the eye of the individual beholder. What one RVer thinks is beautiful might not be so beautiful to another and so on. In saying that I personally don't see the need to add a scenic rating to each RV park or campground. My three cents worth of course and others may see the benefit in having one. If one ends up being added due to overall head count then I will of course use it and try to use it as I see fit. Good thought however as that's how the forum keeps moving forward by having suggestions from long time members such as you are................:D

Safe and healthy travels, BankShot............(aka Terry)

mdcamping likes this.
  4. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Reviewers are encouraged to take photos of the campground and post them with their review or separately. You know the saying, "a picture is worth a thousand words" which might also give readers the "scenic rating" that they are looking for.

BankShot likes this.
  5. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I don't have an issue with people offering their opinions on the beauty of the park or the area in which it is located, but I sure wouldn't want to have that factored into a park's rating. I use this website to evaluate parks; some are in scenic areas; some parks, themselves, are very attractive. However, a lot of the time I just want a clean, well-run place to stay for the night.

BankShot and weighit like this.
  6. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I don't choose a campground for it's scenic attributes but often for the scenery of the area near or around the park. I often see comments in reviews about how nice the park looks and I guess I do take that info into consideration when choosing a park but it isn't high up on the list of what I look for. We all have different priorities. I believe that the basic data that Campground Reviews uses now is adequate.

Darrell

BankShot likes this.
  7. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

An interesting idea , I could see where maybe some of the younger vacation type folks might use the info, but as Terry mentioned everyone will have a different viewpoint on how to rate a Scenic Value for a campground. Over the years the review pages have been getting more cluttered so not sure if they would want to add to that or see a need to?

I'm on the fence on this one

Mike

BankShot likes this.
  8. newkcmoedoe

newkcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

Got to agree with most of the others, it would be a dis-service to rate parks by scenic beauty since there is no possible way to decide what and where scenery should encompass. For example Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone is/was (being redone, so future construction is a guess) bumper to bumper, side by side cramming of RVs into a small space, hardly scenic. But it is in the middle of Yellowstone National Park! and there are few places on earth more scenic. Flip it around to a park like Motorcoach Country Club in Indio California. It is as beautiful as any park in the world. A pristine manicured golf course, lakes, towering Palm Trees and impeccably kept RV sites full of million dollar RVs. The surrounding area, however is a mixture of residential homes, box retailers, major roads, and other assorted things you find in cities. Not a bad area, but nothing special from a scenery point of view. Scenery is just something that shouldn't factor into a rating.

BankShot and weighit like this.
  9. Cyclonic

Cyclonic
    Expand Collapse

I tend to agree with others, it is overkill and very, very subjective. Many would not at all agree with what I consider scenic...
    [​IMG]

10. CHeller

CHeller
    Expand Collapse

I suppose I was thinking of the park itself.

11. CHeller

CHeller
    Expand Collapse

Well alrighty then. I guess I’m alone on this one. And that’s totally okay! I appreciate the response. ...tbh, it’s a detail that I have become accustomed to getting from the MOON camping and hiking guides. I truly love it. When i think about it, we pretty much plan all of our road trips around what is scenic (based on what their ratings tell us). I guess I should just stick to the MOON guides for that information and take Campground Reviews for what it is—which certainly has helpful information too. Thanks for the honest discussion and happy camping everybody!

mdcamping, BankShot and Rollin Ollens like this.
  12. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Sorry you did not get the response you were hoping for. But as the saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and so, not everyone will have the same opinion whether or not a campground is scenic, and sometimes it really isn't a very high factor in choosing a park especially if the stay will be just overnight. However, many times our members mention in their reviews if they think the park or surrounding area is pretty, so maybe that will be a little helpful for you.

CHeller likes this.