When to register RV

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by James Adair, Feb 15, 2021.

1. James Adair

James Adair
    Expand Collapse

I live in Texas but travelled out of state in October 2020 to purchase a new RV. Originally I was thinking of returning in 2-3 months and dealing with registration (and taxes) then, but now planning on staying on the road until at least September 2021. I still have a residence in Texas, and plan on eventually returning, but until then the trailer will never cross Texas state lines.

I’m trying to figure out what legal requirements I have for registering the trailer. Do I need to do that now (assuming it’s even possible by mail/internet)? Or can I keep traveling and take care of it when I get back?

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hi James and welcome to the forum. Offhand my suggestion would be to call your DMV in the city in Texas you reside in and ask them what needs to be done. I've personally never been in the situation you are in but common sense says that the trailer will need to be registered to legally have it on the road. I do know you have a certain amount of time to get it home and registered in your state and it should have a 'sticker' attached on it somewhere that gives the month it expires. You can also cal the dealer where you purchased it and they should be able to give you that info, etc. Bottom line, I doubt you will be able to travel around with it unregistered until later this year as as some point some 'efficient' officer of the law is going to spot you, pull you over, and then you may have some problems to face. Anyway, enjoy your new trailer, drive safe and watch out for all the morons out there that you share the roads with. Hope I was of some help to you..............:)

Happy travels, BankShot...............(aka Terry)

3. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I believe your situation is similar to what happens to TX RVers who aren't in the State when their registration needs to be renewed. It's my understanding that in those cases the renewal takes place without the necessary vehicle inspection and the owner is obligated to get the inspection done within some period of time after the RV is back in TX.

The dealer you purchased from ought to be able to assist you in this.