Finding the right RV resort

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Grayson Everett, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Grayson Everett

Grayson Everett
    Expand Collapse

Thanks to the members here for the assist in choosing the right tow vehicle. Wish I found this site before buying the first tow vehicle(only had it 87 days). In two weeks my wife and I will be making the leap from home owners to full timers. We decided to not give it a weekend test drive to ensure we did not rethink or regret(already bought the RV) the decision. The first month will be spent on a road trip from New Bern, NC to New Orleans and then finish up just north of Fort Myers. With everything up to this point planned and hopefully prepared for, we need to now focus on the fairly permanent location. I have tried a few different methods to research this topic. I am using google, campendium, trip advisor, Park Advisor, and Facebook for the majority of the research. I am disappointed to see the majority of the reviews and columns out there only focus on the negative and give no real input on every day life. The other issue with most apps and searches, is the inability to filter age restrictions. My wife and I are in our 30's and have no kids. I have found a few adult only resorts, but mostly 55+. Since researching is tougher than expected we are planning to book 2-4 week stays at a few resorts in the area before deciding. Has anyone here had generally positive stays in any resorts near Punta Gorda. We are eventually looking to lease a site for 6-12 months. Thank you in advance for your input.

2. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

3. Wild Wild SouthWest

Wild Wild SouthWest
    Expand Collapse

Good luck on your new journey

4. newkcmoedoe

newkcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

Depending upon the experience you are seeking, you might find that full timing at your age in a semi-permanent location may not be as rewarding as you think. There is no such thing as a park that would cater to 30 something year olds, even more so if they are childless. We owned seasonal parks and had around 5 months in the winter to travel beginning in our 40s also no kids. We quickly had to make peace with the fact we always going to be 20 or more years younger than anyone else in the parks. Unlike the summertime, winter RVing is pretty much restricted to the deep south and southwest which means snowbird parks. Over the years we did seasons in Florida, Texas, Arizona and California. We made many great friends and acquaintances but had to adapt to things like early bird dining, bingo, golf, pot lucks, and just plain ratcheting down the physicality of most every endeavor so everyone else could keep up. At times it was like you were in a sea of parents and grandparents. You will find your age is a big handicap fulltiming for months at a time in one location. Just like Goldilocks you will find you are too young for the vast majority of the parks and too old to join in the Spring Break crowd. The only just right situation at your age, in my opinion, is if you can full time traveling from place to place, being a tourist. Semi-permanent resident, not so much.