Test Driving a Class A

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by mdcamping, Feb 24, 2021.

1. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

We are Planning on selling our TT & buying a Class A by the end of this year. We still would like to purchase the Newmar Bay Star or the Bay Star Sport.

Been looking around making calls, I have never driven a class A and would love to test drive anything that is around 30' (just to get a idea) Been getting the run around by sales.. seems the only way I can test drive is PAY FIRST. Inventory is very low and sales booming so this is probably playing in, very frustrating.

Mike

Paythebill likes this.
  2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I guess times have changed. When we purchased our class A and at two other times when we were looking to trade, the salesman asked if we wanted to drive it and actually encouraged us to do so (which we only did the first time because at that time we had never even ridden in one that big much less driven one).

Paythebill and mdcamping like this.
  3. leaf peeper

leaf peeper
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I've never had to pay to test drive either, but then the last time I did a test drive was 2 years ago. I'll post back if that changes when I shop later this year.

4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

When we bought our Class A, a 31' beast, I had never driven one either. We bought ours at a large RV dealer show and as the salesperson was showing us thru it, etc., I told him that I could never drive one of these "buses", and he said yes I could. I went back and forth with him over this point and then he pointed to a large locked gate that opened up into a huge parking lot that was almost completely empty. He said he had the key and the next thing I knew I was behind the wheel with my white knuckles glued to the wheel as he directed me on how to make proper right and left turns and so on. I actually felt fine driving and handling it so we bought it. Next time I drove it was a short test drive on the interstate with an instructor and then finally, the 80 mile trip home from the dealer the day we went to pick it up. That was scary. I was all alone with semis whizzing by my on the left due to me being in the slow lane, and then on both sides when twice I had to pull into the center lane to pass a very slow moving truck. Thought this was how I was going to die.......:eek:. Made it home safely tho and was even able to maneuver that beast uphill on a long winding tree lined road to the house, That did take a few up and down trips to get me to where my palms weren't bleeding from my nails puncturing them as they gripped the wheel so tightly they became numb. It only took me a couple of trips however to feel very comfortable behind the wheel and cognizant at all times that I had 31' of very long, wide, and tall vehicle behind me. It does take some learning and some patience but you will grow to actually enjoy driving it and looking out thru the huge panoramic windshield to the world outside. We are very happy we chose a Class A. They aren't for everyone of course but it has sure been the right choice for us. Looking forward to finding out what you do buy and what your first trip or three impressions are of it, etc. All the best to you Mike on this new adventure you are about to take part in..............:)

Terry..............(aka BankShot)

#4 BankShot, Feb 26, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

One more thing of importance. You tow so you probably already know this but many folks haven't a clue what it takes top stop a large Class A motorhome and they will cut in front of you or make some other stupid move that will cause you to try and avoid a collision with them, etc.When you do make your first trip watch out for those crazy ones as they usually come out of "nowhere" and don't realize it takes much longer distances to stop or to accelerate to get out of their way. I think I mentioned in one post some years back about how I would love to install twin fully automatic paint ball guns behind the front grill, one on either side. You can guess what I'd use them for. The Sigoth would have no part of that hence I use the air horn instead. Never leave home without it.........:D

Terry...............(aka BankShot)

6. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

We just bought a used class A at a dealer in Utah. They were more than happy to allow me to test drive it with just a copy of my driver's license. Not sure why your dealer is so difficult.

mdcamping, Paythebill and BankShot like this.
  7. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I agree with Fitzjohnfan above. Any dealer that gives you the runaround about test driving an RV is not the one to do business with IMHO. Find another dealer that wants your business. Yes RV sales are up currently but a reputable dealer won't use that as an excuse not to let you take one out to test it out, etc. Pay first in order to test drive one is BS and that dealer should be avoided. Hope you find a dealer that wants you business and treats you as a customer and not just a dollar sign.............

Keep on keeping on Mike............Terry.............(aka BankShot)

mdcamping, Paythebill and weighit like this.
  8. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

After we had signed a contract for our 40' Class A but before we had taken delivery, I took a Class B CDL course at a local community college. Yes, it was expensive and included some things I didn't need, but the bottom line is that I started as a more confident driver than many RVers become even after years of practice. I spent weeks of driving a 36' straight truck with a 6-on-the-floor around town on city streets, etc. Believe me, driving my 40' DP was a piece of cake in comparison.

FWIW, I still have my CDL; South Dakota allows me to self-certify that I am not doing any driving that would require me to have a medical certificate.

mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  9. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

As of now we have put everything on hold till this fall, hoping for some real inventory. We are also considering the idea of a new or almost new truck and trailer. [test edit] Also still weighing in on the recovery of my foot that I had surgery in January and the possibly upcoming surgery on my other foot

Mike

#9 mdcamping, Apr 8, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    Paythebill likes this.
  10. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Sad to hear that you are putting your plans on hold. Still, I feel it's best not to compromise too much. I am guessing that one of your issues is that the RV inventory is pretty slim. It is in our part of the country. Hang in there, I think it may return to normal once vaccinations take hold. Good luck with your feet.

Darrell

11. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Amen to what Darrell said above Mike. Like others have said, once this COVID thing has settled down the common belief is that the market is going to be flooded with used RVs being sold by all those that decide to go back to their prior way of traveling about the country. Will be interesting to see just how all this does pan out................:rolleyes:

Regards, Terry...............(aka BankShot)

12. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Yeah it was just not worth it with the lack of inventory and with the possible 2nd surgery coming up. One thing I can say for certain, I should have no problem selling my 20' well maintained TT this fall.

Next week is my yearly camping/fishing trip, took the whole week off to... camp, fish and rest my healing foot. 2 weeks after that I see the foot surgen to discuss the next surgery

Mike

13. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Once again, best wishes for a speedy recovery on this first foot surgery and for a good outcome and recovery on the second one that lies ahead. Nothing like a week of camping, fishing and a bunch of afternoon siestas to help get yourself back fully into the mix again. Keep us posted on how everything proceeds from here...............

Terry..................(aka BankShot)

Paythebill likes this.
  14. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Mike, relax and enjoy the time off, catch lots of fish. Hoping your second surgery goes well and you recover quickly. Keep us all updated on your progress.

15. LukeLaurie

LukeLaurie
    Expand Collapse

16. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

With my first foot 90 % recovered, last friday I went in with my 2nd surgery on my right foot. Can't drive for the next 3 weeks. May, June camping trips cancelled. July trip should be a strong maybe with help from my son who will do all the necessary work that I can not do.

Mike

Rollin Ollens likes this.
  17. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Ah ha!!! "The old 'Let the son do the work while I sit back and get pampered" routine...:rolleyes: Best wishes for a speedy recovery Mike. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that the July trip will pan out and be a really nice one for you. We are hoping to get back out on the road right after Labor Day. Due to my 'SIGOTH' still recovering from back surgery last Sept. and of course COVID putting stops on traveling, etc., it's been way too long since the beast has been down any roads. Again, best wishes to you and your bride on being able to make this trip you are planning for..............:D

Regards, Terry..............(aka BankShot

#17 BankShot, May 28, 2021
    Last edited: May 28, 2021
    mdcamping likes this.
  18. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I'm glad your son can step in to help and I'm sure he will appreciate the education for when he steps out on his own.

Darrell

mdcamping likes this.
  19. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Terry I am thinking that I may not be fully recovered to next summer, a big part of this recovery is me regaining my leg strength which is componded from my arthritis in my knees. I guess were both in the same... ''RV" lol so camping may be more infrequent down the near future road.

Darrell overall I've been more dependent on him, other than the behind the wheel driving he will be doing almost everything. Setting up and breaking down may be a little longer but he is familiar with most of the routine as he has done a bunch of trips with us over the past 20 yrs

Mike

#19 mdcamping, May 29, 2021
    Last edited: May 29, 2021
    BankShot and Rollin Ollens like this.
  20. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hi Mike - - - Fingers are crossed that your recovery time will be sooner than you think. Remember, you can't keep an RVer from doing what he does best, following the open road and enjoying what's around each curve. I just finished booking reservations at three of our favorite RV parks and was lucky to get in at all three and even get sites in each one that we like. Boy have the prices gone up. One park that we will not be going back to over doubled their nighty rate. Will be heading north to Washington to spend some time with family. We leave August 10th which is just a couple of weeks shy f a full year when we returned from our last trip last year. Way too much water gone over the old dam since then. I may have to take a refresher type course to make sure I still know how to drive the "Beast"..........:rolleyes: We are in for a really hot and dry summer out here in the west. The fire danger is already at extreme levels and each day there is one or two fires that get started either due to human negligence or natural dry lightning strikes.....:eek: Anyway, you take care, get well soon and get back out there as soon as you are good to go................

All the best, Terry.................(aka BankShot)

mdcamping likes this.