Towing ability

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by Cyndi Roy, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Cyndi Roy

Cyndi Roy
    Expand Collapse

Wanting to tow my 5300 pd travel trailer with my Ford F-150 with a 5.0 engine to Yellowstone natl park from louisana
    Is this within specs

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hi Cyndi and welcome to the forum. You didn't say what year your F150 is but the newer ones with the 5.0 Coyote engine are more than capable of towing your 5,300 lb trailer. If yours is one of the newer F150s with the tow package already installed it should have an oil cooler included also that helps keep the oil cooled when pulling grades, etc. To make absolutely sure I would check with the local Ford dealer in your area and let "the horses mouth" assure you that your trip will be trouble free towing that trailer with your F150., Be sure to use the flip side of CRs and reviews the various parks and campgrounds you stay at along the way................

Safe travels, BankShot................(aka Terry)

#2 BankShot, Jul 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    Paythebill likes this.
  3. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

One thing to check is the reciever on your truck. Check to see what its rated at. If its a 5000 lb hitch, you may be stressing it beyond its limits.

Paythebill and BankShot like this.
  4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

BankShot...........(aka Terry)

Fitzjohnfan and Paythebill like this.
  5. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

A 150 may have all the muscle needed to pull your rig on flat ground, but will it be strong enough to climb steep grades? Another thing to consider is a 150 beefy enough to stop/slow your rig coming down a steep grade. You may be able to pull it, but can you stop it safely.

Rollin Ollens and BankShot like this.