"NEW MAP NEEDED.....BADLY"

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by BankShot, Jul 26, 2021.

1. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Not to be beating on a dead horse but we really do need a better map than what is currently being used. I realize there is a cost factor involved that needs to be taken into consideration and all however what is being used currently is almost useless, in fact to me it is. I am hoping that a new one that would function much as the old Google one did, is in the works? I for one would be more than willing to pay a buck, perhaps even less,:p to help offset any additional costs involved. The current one is difficult to read the street names and other various named things such as many cities and towns. I am hoping that one day soon a new one will be made available for us folks that are blind in one eye and unable to see out of the other :cool:. Thanks to any and all Admins who happen to read and may pursue this..........:D

Regards, BankShot............(aka Terry........aka old blind Joe)

Paythebill likes this.
  2. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I have also noticed the maps sometimes don't identify where all the State Park/NP etc boundaries are. I think this is an important tool to have when trying to make a decision when selecting a campground.

Sorry I am also going to beat this dead horse too :)

Mike

Paythebill likes this.
  3. leaf peeper

leaf peeper
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I share your frustrations with the current maps. Even though I'm an Admin here, I don't know what the plan is for finding a new one. If I remember, we had to give up Google maps because they raised the price exorbitantly (like 100x what we were paying) for us to use them. Granted, they have great maps. Problem is they know it & can charge as much as they want for access. With as many parks as we have & every one of them having maps, you can probably do the math to guess how much they wanted Social Knowledge to pay them for the use.:eek: Even if members paid a tiny fee, it'd be a drop in the bucket to help offset the cost.

It's probably a matter of finding the right mapping software to fit us.

Paythebill and BankShot like this.
  4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the response leaf peeper. I completely understand what you said about the good? folks at Google. Like so many other companies nowadays their greed shows profusely in situations such as this. Hopefully down the road a new mapping service will become available at a much more reasonable pricing so until then I will just continue to switch back and forth from CGRs to my own Google Earth app and live with that. Enjoy your day ahead.................:D

Regards, Terry.................(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.