"It's A Tad Wet Outside"

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by BankShot, Oct 24, 2021.

1. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I don't know if there any of you on the forum that live up here in the Sierra foothills of good old California but if this rain keeps coming down as it has since just after midnight, we are possibly be looking at being the proud owners of some ocean front property by the time this storm passes thru late Monday evening. Since midnight my rain gauge is showing 5.26 inches of wet stuff and rising hourly with just under 9 hours to go to record a single 24 hour possible record downfall...........:eek: Can anyone top 5.26 inches..........???

BankShot..............(aka Terry)

Paythebill and Rollin Ollens like this.
  2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

The national weather report makes that area sound very hazardous. So you stay safe.

Paythebill and BankShot like this.
  3. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Well, ya'll need the rain in California but it would be nice if Mother Nature would ease up a bit and spead it out. Since wild fires have scorched the earth near by, there probably isn't much to hold soil in place right now. What are the chances of land slides in your neck of the woods?

In the lower mainland of BC we have had light rain for a couple of weeks now. A few bits of sun now and again but it feels more like winter already. We are looking forward to hitting the desert in January if all goes well. Then we can get rid the webbing that is growing betwwen our toes and dry out the coach a bit.

Stay safe, stay warm and try to stay dry.

Darrell and Jerry

Paythebill and BankShot like this.
  4. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Not to steal your thunder, but you did ask who could beat 5.26 inches of rain. Well, we had a torrential rain on Oct 13 and our neighbors said their rain gauge had 8.2 in. of rain in it and that happened in about a 3 hour period. I don't know what the official number was, but I do know we had to put sand bags (two high) in front of our garage doors to keep the water out of the first floor of our house. Ironically, this seems to happen around this time every two years. The first time was on Oct 30, 2015 and again on the same date in 2017. Both of those times water ran through the whole bottom floor. We were lucky in 2019 and did not have a flood in Oct. (but we had sand bags ready and waiting), so it made up for it this year, although it got the date a little mixed up. With the help of the sand bags, we only got water in the garage this time. As Darrell said, we really needed the rain, but we just didn't want to get it all at once.

5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

-------------------------------------------------------------
    There have been many downed trees and power lines all throughout the area. Rock slides on both I-80 and Hwy 50 going to Tahoe as well as on several other secondary roads. Lots of downed trees and power outages in both Meadow Vista where I live and in many other communities nearby. So far the power has only gone out briefly for a few minutes each time. If we can make it thru midnight tonight we should be okay as the rains are spposed to die down a tad as will the gusting accompanying winds that are the real scary part of this storm. I have a generator if needed but I sure don't care to take it outside and fire it up in this weather unless the power does go out for more than just a few hours. Thanks to you Darrell and to Texasrvers for the well wishes. I'll do my best to keep the warm inside and rain outside............

Regards., Terry..............(aka BankShot)

6. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Just watching the SF football game, the deluge is amazing! Hope you stay dry and comfy.

Regards,
    Chris

BankShot and Paythebill like this.
  7. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Yikes, seems all or none for you folks out west, do take care Terry with all the weather.

lately I haven't heard much on the news concerning the wild fires & drought out west, I know the west coast takes up a lot of real estate so I'm going to guess not everyone is out of the woods yet?

Mike

8. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey there Mike - - - It wasn't like his a decade or so ago but now it does seem like we get all our rain in just a few storms that blow thru with fierce intensity as this one just did. Got just over 10 inches on Sunday in a 24 hour period. That's more than we normally would get in Oct., Nov., and Dec. combined in an average year. Three months rain all in one day. As for the fires, this storm basically ended our fire season this year according to what the weather folks are saying however with the crazy weather we seem to now have, who knows we could be burning again come Jan. or Feb. We just have to take it as it comes I guess. You take care also, be safe and well in all regards.............

Terry..............(aka BankShot)

Paythebill and mdcamping like this.