Airstream Interstate Propane Capacity

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by JimMert, Mar 10, 2021.

1. JimMert

JimMert
    Expand Collapse

We are new and wondering how long we can expect our 17 pound tank to last?

2. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum Jim

I have a 30 lb propane tank for my 20' Tailer, I did 6 trips last year, filled it twice but could have done it once with plenty propane to spare.

Propane heat is what really runs them dry, if your doing alot of cold weather camping you may need to refill after every trip. That said your Airstream is much better insulated than the average RV.. that will help on usage. I bring a small space heater for real cold weather trips and run it as a primary and the rv heat as secondary, helps tremendously.

A lot of RV parks do have propane refills.

Mike

Paythebill likes this.
  3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I also extend a big welcome to the forum Jim. As Mike mentioned above we do much the same. We do use our propane for cooking and keeping the hot water tank hot while on longer day drives, etc. but when we do reach our destination most of the time we too use a small space heater as our primary space heat and keep our propane for use when we are off the grid and not hooked up to electric power. Unless it really get cold the space heater is all the heat we need as our coach is well insulated. So we don't really use a lot of propane normally. At the current propane prices that tends to save a bit of money that can be used for 'more wine' and other necessary things..........:D Travel safe and make sure to post reviews, of where you stay, on the flip side of this site..............

Regards, BankShot...............(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  4. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Like previous posts have said, using the propane heater really eats up the gas. I've been on camping seasons where I spent 20+ days camping and cooking and running the 'fridge on propane and still finished the season with a 1/4 tank.

But there have been other times where it was really cold, and I wasn't sure the tank would last 4 days.