Boondocking banned?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Fitzjohnfan, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

2. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

New Zealand has passed laws that allow for campers to camp anywhere on public land except for a few exceptions. Local councils do not have the authority to ban camping everywhere in their jurisdiction.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/new-zealand-freedom-camping-laws-1605970

I can't imagine boondocking ever being banned in the U.S. Federal lands are not controlled by local councils and I don't think politicians are that stupid to ever allow a ban.

BankShot and Rollin Ollens like this.
  3. newkcmoedoe

newkcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

If the perception is that Boondocking has morphed from recreational use to low income housing the politicians could very well ban or severely restrict it. And the general public would either welcome it (less chance of running into a homeless camp while taking a nature hike) or just shrug their shoulders since it has no effect on about 99.99% of the Citizenry.

4. Cyclonic

Cyclonic
    Expand Collapse

I think this article is an over reaction to an issue that is very isolated.

RV parks are booming right now, and probably will continue to do so through the 2021 camping season. Desirable parks with good amenities are going to be difficult to get into, there is not enough capacity as it is in the industry.

5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Err, what's that you say Onemoretrail..........:rolleyes: Politicians ain't stupid??? Isn't that like saying gas can't come out both ends................o_O Got a good laugh from that one..............:D

Keep moving forward, BankShot.............(aka Terry)

6. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I wasn't saying they weren't. Even they come up for air once in awhile when they see the writing on the wall. I don't think they would want thousands of RVs dumping their holding tanks on their doorsteps.:D