Brisbane Valley Rail Trail Mountain Bike Camping Weekend

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Jason Goodwin, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Had a getaway to ride the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail with one of my sons over the weened. Thought I would add a short trip report for you all as you deservedly approach summer.
    0Sa2iAuOTfOJv+2ymbbfnA.jpg
    Flush out the tanks and ready to go!
    xXPIPUn4Rw+yrNxV2mTYbw.jpg
    Bikes on board and ready to go.

The Brisbane Valley Rail Trail is 161KM bike track that rides from the country town of Yarraman through to Wulkaraka. We elected to ride the 49KM trail section between Moore and Esk.
    BVRT Map.jpg
    On the way you transverse country farms, country towns and amazing outlooks with historic sites.
    Here is the site http://www.brisbanevalleyrailtrail.com.au
    Esk_2.jpg
    The park sits in a valley and is a up and coming mecca for cyclists wanting to cross country mountain bike.

I set up my 2 boys in our new Swags....Its an Australian outdoor bed wrapped in canvas that keeps the nasties out and the flies away.
    IMG_2449.jpg
    We elected to stay in the small town of Esk at the local caravan park with its amazing views and great fireplace as we move into winter.

mdcamping likes this.
  2. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

The park is well set up with a Pub in walking distance and antiques, cafes and country markets nearby.
    esk-caravan-park.jpg
    The fireplace is a Favourite. The park is very country.
    esk_caravan_park_u16.jpg
    Dinner the night before the ride
    IMG_2465.jpg
    The park has multiple BBQ and Pizza ovens to use. The seating and entertainment is amazing.
    IMG_2468.jpg
    Ready to go....seems like a great idea.....

Back to the ride which was the reason for the trip. Over 45KM across varied terrains was incredible. it took us 4 hours all up.
    IMG_2476.jpg
    The halfway mark had us wondering what we had go ourselves into....
    IMG_2474.jpg
    But the halfway Beef Angus Pie helped......
    IMG_2478.jpg
    And then the short walk to the local Pub didn't hurt either.......

Ill try and add the GoPro images and videos for everyone to enjoy....

3. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Jason,
    Thank you for the excellent trip report and photos. I have got to try one of those Beef Angus Pies.
    Looking forward to seeing the GoPro images and videos.

Ron

mdcamping and Jason Goodwin like this.
  4. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Ditto what Ron posted!

Darrell

5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Double ditto Jason from another Yank. As always great pics and commentary. Once more you manage to make me hungry with your Aussie food offerings. As Ron said, that pie sure looks tasty. That is Ketchup on top is it not? I thought for a minute it might just be some of that extra thick cow's blood I've heard you Aussies like to use instead of Ketchup.............:rolleyes: OMG, did I just type that, shame on me......:oops: Looks like you all had a great ride and an enjoyable outing. Really like those bed tents the boys use, never seen those before. Would be great to have one in the RV to use when we feel like sleeping outdoors sometime. Thanks again for the pics and commentary we've all gotten to enjoy, and of course also expect from you by now...............:D

Cheers, Terry..............(aka BankShot)

6. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Sure is Ketchup @BankShot. The swag is a very Australian outdoor bed that rolls up and is generally carried on the roof of the 4wd. These ones are doubles which give a bit more room. The canvas rolls away so you can literally sleep with flyscreen only between you and the outside. They have a built in mattress and all around ventilation.
    OK57yGwyR9yGPLcajqirZQ.jpg
    Rolled up and in their bags
    swag_2.jpg
    Another view of them set up behind the van

mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  7. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Jason you seem to find some very cool parks, Love that outdoor fire pit & grill. As always I enjoy looking at all of your pics.... especially that pizza!!... yum mate!

You perked my ears about the rail trails. Kathleen and I also enjoy riding them as we have several camping trips planned this year! That said we look for the more flat grades as were much older and I have to be careful with my problem knees.

Mike

Jason Goodwin and Paythebill like this.