Campground Closing due to COVID 19

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Renagade007, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Renagade007

Renagade007
    Expand Collapse

There have been some reports going around that some CG are shutting down due to the Coronavirus. Some military CG have already closed. If you know of any please post so other campers can trip plain. Below is a list of current military CG closings.

Champs Camp, Fort AP Hill, VA
    Maxwell/Gunter AFB FamCamp, AL
    Lake Martin Recreation Area, AL
    Langley AFB FamCamp, VA
    Davis-Monthan AFB FamCamp, AZ
    Corpus Christi RV Park, TX
    Wateree Recreation Area, SC
    Desert Eagle FamCamp, Nellis AFB, NV
    Palm Oasis RV Park, El Centro NAF, CA
    Alligator Lake Recreation Area, Fort Polk, LA
    Toledo Bend Recreation Site, Fort Polk, LA
    Racoon Creek Recreation Area, MacDill AFB, FL
    Williams FamCamp, Buckley AFB, CO
    Joint Base Charleston RV Park, Charleston, SC - until May 17th
    China Lake NAWS (Ridgecrest, CA) - is canceling reservations.
    Pine View Campgrounds at Ft McCoy, WI - until April 30
    Mid-Bay Shores Niceville, FL - No new campers until April 5
    Arnold AFB, TN - not taking new reservations
    Joint Base Andrews FamCamp, MD

2. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Not military ...But all Florida State Parks and Campgrounds until May 15th

3. Pokercat

Pokercat
    Expand Collapse

I just heard Thousand Trails are closing all Florida locations.

4. Renagade007

Renagade007
    Expand Collapse

I know the Army is closing down another site near Flagstaff AZ. Not hearing anything in my area on private CG or state run yet, but they don't open till mid May.

5. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

I would think a campground could just cancel activities without closing to guests. It's not like a campground is just one big party.

Dennis H likes this.
  6. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Staffing is likely one reason for the closings. I've seen folks suggesting that the parks could just lock the buildings, restrooms, etc., and let people continue to stay, but I remember well what happened when the gov't shutdown left the national parks open and people trashed them.

7. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

Smaller campgrounds often have only one or two people working. I wonder if those places would be more likely to be open.

8. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

State parks are generally an all or nothing situation as far as open or closed, although I suppose they might make exceptions where warranted. Private parks are up to the individual owners of course. The next state park and 4 private parks on our expected itinerary are all still open, albeit with limitations such as phone check-ins, etc.

Paythebill likes this.
  9. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Business closings have even been ratcheted down even more here in Ct, I have my upcoming local camping/fishing trip next month at a small private campground. Now I am not sure if they will be included with all of the other private business that are forced to close. Been going every april for over 10 years, very sparse campground and the only thing that is in my personal space is the trout I pull in on the Natchaug River. Probably will be making a phone call

Mike

BankShot and Paythebill like this.
  10. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hmm, personnel space you say? I've often wondered what sleeping with a trout would be like........:p Hope your fishing trip works out for you Mike and that you catch your limit...............

All the best, Terry...................(aka BankShot)

mdcamping, Paythebill and NYDutch like this.
  11. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

My presumption is that a lot of private CG closings have related to bathroom and other cleaning issues. The risk of cross contamination in a public bathroom is probably higher than many owners care to have. Furthermore, the risk to those cleaning the facilities would be unacceptably high.

kate_wanderer and Paythebill like this.
  12. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Called this morning and as on now I am good for next month, staff mentioned they have some fulltimers or seasonals coming in because of COVID 19. I have 2 state campgrounds booked this year so far. May in MA and OCT in MD hoping for things to calm down by May.

This is a mom & pop campground.. not much overhead, small community campground. His bathrooms/showers are not updated but are clean. Most of the campers are good about cleaning up after themselfs and the bathrooms are cleaner than most state campgrounds we have been to. The only thing I intend to catch is lots of trout! ;) :cool:

Mike

13. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I called our next 5 stops, mostly overnights, and all are doing phone check-ins except one. That one is a cash/check only campground and they said someone would come out to our window to check us in.

14. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I have been doing the same. No problems keeping our distance. We are fully self contained thus no need for campground facilities other than P W & S and most times just power.

We have only encountered one problem and that was with the KOA in Gretna Nebraska (Omaha).. I will post a review in a day or two.

Darrell

BankShot, Paythebill and NYDutch like this.
  15. Dennis H

Dennis H
    Expand Collapse

My wife and I are snobirding in Texas, and wanting to go to Maine this spring and summer. We've been trying to find out how the Covid19 is going to affect our travel wishes. So far we've seen many states closing down campgrounds (state, county and city). Haven't really heard about RV Parks yet! Just did read that Tillamook County, Oregon, is closing all campgrounds and it sounds like RV Parks also. Any info along our hopeful trek would be greatly appreciated!

16. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

This morning I learned that a large, popular RV park in Port Aransas TX was closing despite having closed its bathrooms, rec hall, etc, a couple of weeks ago. Although this is a "shoulder season" this action will probably displace 150-200 RVs currently at the park and lots more who have spring/summer reservations. The park is Pioneer RV Park. Friends of ours have a annually parked trailer there but they will be unable to use it during the shutdown.

Paythebill likes this.
  17. kate_wanderer

kate_wanderer
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the warnings and updates, guys.
    Could you please make this topic sticky so it won't be lost?

18. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Paythebill likes this.
  19. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

Getting worse by the day. I feel bad for the people who can't use their own trailers because of the closing. Wouldn't that come under evictions? My area has suspended all evictions and foreclosures until this socioeconomic crisis is over.

20. lianot

lianot
    Expand Collapse

If all people follow safety measures and travel less, we will get rid of the disease faster