Campground Reviews Gets a Spiffy New Look!

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Janet H, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Next Monday (Dec 16th) CGR will be offline for an hour or so early in the morning so that we can implement a substantial change to the review pages. It's been many years since we've had an update and the current code base is aging, it's time to modernize. Here's a sneak peak of the home page:

CGRpreview_1.jpg

Pages will have an updated look and be mobile friendly. Member profiles will have new features and enhancements and adding reviews should be more streamlined. Uploading photos will be easier to do and there will be are enhanced photo editing tools to go with.

Search will be improved as well as map responsiveness and issues searching for parks in Canada should be addressed as well. For those of you who use RV Trip Wizard, you'll find tighter integration between the two sites and everything should move faster.

While the site will have a fresh look, all the great info and member contributed reviews that are the backbone of the CGR will still be here. We anticipate continuing to make changes and tweaks after the new site goes live and have waited to make this change until the off-season so that there is ample time to tweak things before the busy spring camping season arrives.

As you have a look at the new pages you will find that some features and info have been moved around. We invite you to post up as you have questions and offer constructive feedback.

2. texasAUtiger

texasAUtiger
    Expand Collapse

Looking forward to it. I would have posted many more pictures over the years, but the old photo posting tool was so clunky it deterred me. So I am glad to hear that the photo posting tool is one of the main upgrades. I think that will be a great addition to the site.

Right now, under my profile I don't see the google map with pins on all the campgrounds I've reviewed. I'm not worried about it, but thought I'd make a note. Maybe the system has to regenerate those due to the update.

Paythebill likes this.
  3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Is the database still updating for the new site? I'm not seeing any reviews for the first two campgrounds I checked although the ratings are based on many reviews.

Paythebill likes this.
  4. Tech Admin

Tech Admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Yes, there was a momentary glitch where I forgot to turn reviews back on. Sorry about that. Hectic morning.

Paythebill, NYDutch and MK_Willi like this.
  5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Had the same question Dutch had and was just about to think I might be blind in one eye and unable to read out of the other. Glad I checked this morning's forum prior to asking the same question he did. The new reviews site looks great. No doubt there will be a few, or more than a few, questions regarding how to navigate and find everything, etc. but it shouldn't take long for everyone to figure it all out. RVers are a pretty smart bunch..........:D

Thanks to everyone involved with making CR a mo betta place to post reviews. As Tony the Tiger would say............"LOOKS GREAT"............well sort of like that.........:rolleyes:

Regards to all, BankShot..........(aka Terry)

#5 BankShot, Dec 16, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    Paythebill and MK_Willi like this.
  6. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Just a heads up folks that we are still working on a number of issues today. We appreciate your patience.

Paythebill, BankShot and NYDutch like this.
  7. Reddogsmom

Reddogsmom
    Expand Collapse

Sorry but the New Look is a nightmare. Where is the city/town list for each area? Where are the reviews for each campground? Hate this.

8. Reddogsmom

Reddogsmom
    Expand Collapse

And right in the middle of planning a trip, the website morphs into a monster...so off I go to Google reviews and TripAdvisor. At least their reviews are up and running. I am SO disappointed in the way this new website does not work.

Paythebill and weighit like this.
  9. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We're still making adjustments but you can type the name of your city into the search box to quickly locate a town. From a state page, there is a browse by city function just as there always has been but right now it's on the injured list as well and should be fixed shortly.

You can also click on the map to zoom into an area.

Here's a screen shot of how to search directly for a city until the list is restored:
    cgr_city search.jpg

Paythebill, BankShot and NYDutch like this.
  10. texasAUtiger

texasAUtiger
    Expand Collapse

Under my profile, I no longer see the google map with pins of all the places I've reviewed. Should I be able to see it?

Did you all get rid of that?

ArmandV and Paythebill like this.
  11. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

--------------------------------------------------------------
    I noticed that also and I believe it's just one of the things the admins and techs are working on to get up and running again. Whenever a major changeover like this is made it usually takes a week or two to get everything as it should be so give it time and we should be seeing those map pins again on our profile page. No doubt one of the admins will jump in here and let us know more about this..........

Happy Holidays, BankShot...............(aka Terry)

ArmandV, Paythebill and NYDutch like this.
  12. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

As noted, we will be adjusting things for several weeks BUT please post up things you notice or questions you have. They are helpful.

Paythebill likes this.
  13. DenverDoc

DenverDoc
    Expand Collapse

I no longer can find the link to a campground's website. That is a very helpful aide when wanting to get additional information about a particular campground. I hope that those are restored soon.

Paythebill likes this.
  14. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

It's right next to the "View Phone" button...

Attached Files:

Paythebill, Janet H and BankShot like this.
  15. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Just a note that the home page has been updated a little with some nifty styling options.

• You can collapse the banner image to move the map further up the page - tiny x in top right corner
    • The submit review and add park buttons have been moved up the page into the header banner replacing the duplicate search box.
    • If you close the banner image those submit buttons disappear but you can access then from the drop down on the upper nav bar that says "submit"
    There are more changes coming to state and city pages as well as the search function - thanks for your patience.

cgr_close header.jpg

Paythebill, NYDutch and BankShot like this.
  16. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

While there are numerous things I do not like about the new format, I will start with just 2 items. First, why can we I longer say a review is NOT helpful? Secondly, in the same area, why do all my previously "NOT Helpful" votes for reviews now seem to indicate that I said these reviews were "Helpful". I do NOT appreciate your site saying I found a review "Helpful" when I, in fact, I checked the box that said said it was "NOT Helpful". Is this what your site considers being a "Trustworthy" review site?

Paythebill likes this.
  17. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Thanks for the input Jerry - We'll look into this.

Paythebill likes this.
  18. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Greetings Janet;

I just tried to log on to the home page but since I will not allow CCR to track my location I can't get the page to load. Fortunately, I saved a link that takes me directly to the forum or I would not be able to tell you about this problem.

I'm not sure how I can turn "Share my location" on again so until I can, the only access to CCR I have is is the forum. When I am in the forum, if I click on the "Home" button, the site goes blank again.

Can you fix?

Darrell

Darrell

Paythebill likes this.
  19. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Hi -

Are you viewing the site on the app or using the full web version?

If you block location info the site should still load for you but it won't show you region specific content. You should still be able to search in usual ways however.

If you are viewing the full web version of the site the link to find the forum is in the upper nav bar over to the left side.

cgr_forum.jpg

Paythebill likes this.
  20. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I was using the full web version. I am now able to access the home page. I had to log out and then back in. I still don't know how to turn the "Share my location" back on but I'm not sure I need to. I did note that when I went to edit my profile the site shot me back to the log in page. No matter how many times I logged in I could not edit my profile.

Darrell

Paythebill likes this.