Canoe Camping - What size Cooler

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by palmer9, Jul 23, 2019.

1. palmer9

palmer9
    Expand Collapse

I am trying to determine the size of the cooler that I have to buy for 5 days for future canoe camping trips. I have a canoe of 16 feet and a maximum width of 35 inches. Is there a typical cooler size that most people use when camping a canoe?
    I found a list here but can't take decide which one will be perfect-

Any ideas will be appreciated.

2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Decide what items will need to be kept in the cooler, including the ice. If you need to take drinking water with you, freeze plastic milk jugs of water instead of using ice cubes. Once you know what you want to go inside, you can figure out how big the outside needs to be and still fit in the canoe. Back in the day, I used to camp with or without a canoe for a few weeks at a time with no cooler along, just a backpack.

3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse

We use a Ozark Trail 12-Can Premium Cooler that we bought a walmart a few yrs ago, we take it for day trips where we will bungee it on our kayaks, we will also bring it along with our hybrid bikes (one bike has a basket)
    We can get 2 or 3 freezer packs, 4 drinks, couple sandwiches, fruit, snacks and have some room to spare.

You mentioned 5 day trips?, so if your gone for 5 days straight cooler might be to small, but it works fine for day use.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tr...hguid=eda6f6e2-c92-16c217ac829363&athena=true

Hope this is some help
    Mike

#3 mdcamping, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    palmer9 likes this.
  4. palmer9

palmer9
    Expand Collapse