"Christmas Morning Ponderings"

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by BankShot, Dec 25, 2019.

1. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I'm sitting here with my morning cup of Christmas coffee and what come to mind? A question of the Admins of course. Was just curious as to why the Google maps being used no longer allow us to drop down to "street level" views as the ones on the old site did? Not a major thing that needs resolve on Christmas but that feature was really nice when wanting to do a "drive by" of a given park, campground, or thru a nearby city or town to get a better perspective of the area itself, etc. Merry Christmas Admins, no need to jump on this one today, tomorrow will be just fine.............. :D

HO HO HO, BankShot.............(aka Terry)

texasAUtiger and Paythebill like this.
  2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I must be on a roll because in using the Google Maps with the new system to scout out a couple of RV parks I have also noticed that the street and highway names are not longer visible, at least on my PC they aren't,as well as none of the area businesses and places of interest, etc. I have not noticed any place to add them manually either on the site. Is this just a new version of GE that no longer contains this info or has it simply not updated as yet to show this info.? All of this is very useful when scouting out a place to stay in an area one is unfamiliar with so I hope it will all be restored shortly.............

Happy New Year, BankShot.............(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Are you selecting just the "Earth" view? I see street names, etc., on both the "Streets" and Hybrid views as I zoom in. I do not see street names on the "Earth" view alone.

map-1.png map-2.png

Paythebill likes this.
  4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey Dutch - - - Yes I am able to see the streets and names of places, etc. using the hybrid view, something I had not used as yet so thanks for that. I guess I was just going along with using what I had been use to in the past but will use the hybrid view from now on. Still cannot do a street view drop down however as we once could but I am going to go back again and do some more searching to see if I have simply missed something. Haven]t checked the hybrid view for this as yet but will. Thanks again for jumping in and pointing this out............

Happy New Year To You..........Terry..................(aka BankShot)

Paythebill likes this.
  5. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I haven't found a way to drop down to a full Google street view either, Terry. I'm not even sure they're using Google's map API. Perhaps Janet can enlighten us on that...

Paythebill likes this.
  6. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We left google maps behind some months ago after they substantially increased costs for websites to display their maps. You may remember this back from last January https://www.campgroundreviews.com/forum/threads/maps-changes-coming-soon-again.6992/

At the time there was an option for members to manually select to continue to use google maps but this latest update has removed this option. In the past year we've tried out several other providers and have settled on our current provider as the best of those available.

Google maps are still available for personal use but not through the website. We simply can't sustain the costs for their maps. The new maps display almost all the same info if you have the correct view selected although the controls are in a little different location on the map.

Paythebill, BankShot and NYDutch like this.
  7. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, Janet, that clarifies the issue now...

Paythebill likes this.
  8. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Thank you Janet for letting us know about this. Not a major problem and I am glad this new model is working better and is less costly for the site. Increased costs are not needed to be incurred for sure. I have Google Earth installed on my PC and can simply use it from now on whenever I wish to swoop down onto a given street or in some cases right into an RV park to check out things. You have been most responsive to the forum in answering the various questions that have arisen so far with this new changeover so thanks again and HAPPY NEW YEAR to you..................

Regards, Terry..............(aka BankShot)

NYDutch likes this.