"CR New Map Being Used"

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by BankShot, Jan 29, 2020.

1. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Is there anyway CR can go back to using the old maps on the reviews pages? The new one is not nearly as good as the old one was as it doesn't allow one to zoom down nearly as close in, nor does it allow "street viewing" as the old one did. To top that off the new one (doesn't appear to be Google Earth?) is not as clear and defined nor does it show as much info as the older version did. I do have Google Earth Pro on my PC that I am now using when I want to see some closer up overhead views of an RV park or go down to a street view, etc. but it's a PITA to have to go back and forth between CR and Google Earth. Just askin'..................:rolleyes::D

PS: If I'm missing some settings or something else here, please let me know what to do to correct this......Thanks

BankShot...............(aka Terry)

Paythebill and mdcamping like this.
  2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Terry, I think it's unlikely they'll go back to Google unless the ad revenue picks up enough to cover the cost of using their map API.

Paythebill, mdcamping and BankShot like this.
  3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Yeah Dutch that's what I was thinking, but it sure would be nice to have the old maps back again. Shame it costs so much to run a website anymore, especially one like this. I completely understand why the change to a lesser expensive map system had to be done. But thanks for jumping in and making that sink a a tad more...................

Regards, Terry.............(aka BankShot)

Paythebill and mdcamping like this.
  4. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Was it last year they made the change from google maps? yeah I checked a couple of my favorites places to stay... big differance in image quality from google maps to what CR uses....kind of a let down. Guess I will be doing more paste & copy of campground address over to google maps.

Mike

Paythebill likes this.
  5. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

At least in Chrome, I just highlight the address, right click on it and select "Search Google for..." The first result is usually a small sized map of the location, and clicking on it brings up the full sized map.

mdcamping and Paythebill like this.