Help Me Get Rid Of These Gnats Or Tiny Flies!

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by zingy, Jul 12, 2008.

1. zingy

zingy
    Expand Collapse

HELP! I can't walk into our rv bathroom without having to spray for the bugs first!
    don't know where they're coming from: the ceiling vent, around the toilet, or the drains.
    i've bug bombed the rv, didn't help much.

they look about the size of big fruit flies.

no where else in the rig, not in the kitchen or living room.

i spray bug spray around the toilet and inside to be able to gain entrance.
    they first arrived in weslaco, tx, and now we're in dickinson, tx near galveston.

any ideas on what they are, and how to get rid of them?

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

This is a yucky topic, but here goes. I have seen those gnats/flies (or something similar) fly out of our toilet when we flush. Usually spraying a good bug spray down the toilet gets them. I'm not sure what they are or why we have them at some times and not others. Maybe a really good cleaning of your black water tank would help. Try to get a brush that will go down into the pipe and really clean around the seals and gaskets where little bugs can hide. (But be careful not to drop the brush into the tank. That would be a h___ of a mess to fix.) You might also flush out your gray water tank. I think our flies have always come from the black water tank, but I guess they could be in the gray water tank as well. We have the added problem of keeping a cat litter box in the bathroom, and they seem to get in there, too. So I also hang a "pest strip" in the bathroom and make sure it is always fresh.

On a good note, just be glad they are that small. You should see the size some bugs get here in Texas!

3. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

If they are small bugs (Called noseeums if Florida) getting through your vent screen, you can prevent this by spraying your screen daily with bug spray.

4. gpdshea

gpdshea
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Jul 15 2008, 12:04 PM) [snapback]12275[/snapback]

If they are small bugs (Called noseeums if Florida) getting through your vent screen, you can prevent this by spraying your screen daily with bug spray.

5. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

They are quite likely sewer flies which cold be breeding in your black tank or even in the over-flow of the toilet it's self. For the toilet, fill the bowl up to the top and then add about 1/8 cup of chlorine bleach. Next run more water into the bowl, causing that bleach mix to flow into the over-flow which also has a chamber that works much like a "P" trap in a sink drain. Once you get a good shot of that mix into the trap, let it sit for at least an hour before you flush again, because each flush does add water to that chamber. That will kill any critters in the trap. For the tank, I would use one of the natural tank treatments and allow it to fill completely before you dump the next time. Just about any of the treatment products will kill and eggs or larva in your tank.

6. kooky

kooky
    Expand Collapse

I have sand nats how do you get rid of them??? I have shampooed carpet in RV set bombs off and use bug spray NOTHING HELPS.....What can I do, they are eating us alive
    Thanks Kooky

7. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

Drain your tanks. Take the RV North for a week of *very* cold sub zero weather--stay in a hotel and let it *really* get cold. That will kill them all.

QUOTE(kooky @ Aug 26 2008, 07:03 PM) [snapback]12954[/snapback]

I have sand nats how do you get rid of them??? I have shampooed carpet in RV set bombs off and use bug spray NOTHING HELPS.....What can I do, they are eating us alive
    Thanks Kooky