Highway 1 with a Motor Home

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Ted Dickinson, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Ted Dickinson

Ted Dickinson
    Expand Collapse

Finally fully retired and we plan to visit family in San Clemente this fall which will be the first leg of our trip. Any suggestions on whether or not to take highway 1 all the way from Brookings to San Clemente, what problems might arise, etc? I know it takes us through San Francisco. We have a 35' motor home and will be towing a car.

We are also looking for places to park for a month or more in either SoCal or AZ or New Mexico that is clean, pet friendly and has something to do while we stay. Welcome any suggestions.

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hi Ted and welcome to the forum. We have traveled Hwy 101 several times from Winchester Bay, OR down to Petaluma, CA but have only been on actual Hwy One with our coach once and that was the first and last time and it was for only a short distance.. No problems however on 101 until you do reach the bay area and going thru that entire area where it can be "tricky" due to the heavy bay area traffic. You of course can get back over onto Hwy One if you want to and go south out of the bay area but it's a tight and twisty turn two lane road that is not recommended in a large 35 ' motorhome, especially going thru the Big Sur area and several other areas where the road is very narrow and with some really white knuckle turns, etc. Hwy One can be negotiated in a motorhome however we prefer not to go thru all that and have opted for 101 when we go north and south up into Oregon and Washington. We've seen some larger RV's doing their best to get thru some of those twisties but it doesn't leave much room especially if you are facing a logging truck coming at you and taking up some of your side of the road. Much nicer and easier on the nerves to just take 101 the entire way and leave Hwy One to the two and four wheel crowd IMHO. Some great coastal scenery much of the way on 101 with some very good overnight stops along the way also. If you want a few suggestions about where to stay, etc. let me know and I'll be more than happy to recommend a few in the areas you plan in spending the nights at. Have a great trip and be sure to post reviews of the places you do stay at on the reviews side of Campground Reviews...............

Safe and happy travels to you, BankShot...................(aka Terry)

3. Ted Dickinson

Ted Dickinson
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Terry, I am going to take your advice and take 101. Nothing spoils a trip more than taking a road that is so uncomfortable to negotiate. We plan on making several stops on our way so would appreciate some recommended sites in or near the following places:
    Fortuna, Mendicino, Bodega Bay, Santa Cruz, Morro Bay and Oxnard.

Thanks again Terry, this takes a load off to have this information.

Ted

4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

---------------------------------------------------------------
    The only area we have stayed at out of the six you mentioned is Bodega Bay and we would recommend Bodega Bay RV Park. Just north of the town it is quiet and protected from the wind by a barricade of tall trees that surround the park. With a tow vehicle you are just a couple of minutes from town itself. We normally take I-5 when traveling north or south from our No. Calif. location to visit and stay with family, but do use Hwy 101 and when doing so have stayed in Eureka, CA as well as Winchester Bay, OR. We don't travel the coastal areas in So. Calif. simply due to traffic congestion and the throngs of people, etc. If you ever decide to take I-5 I can recommend several very nice RV parks to stay at for just a one nighter or even for a couple of days if you feel like kicking back an extrea day, etc. Perhaps some other members who have spent more time in the areas you noted will step up to the plate and give you some suggestions. Hope this helps..................

BankShot...............(aka Terry)

5. Ted Dickinson

Ted Dickinson
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Terry. We usually take I-5 but haven't taken a motor home on it for about 15 years....at that time it was in such bad shape that it created some problems with the coach. It has been repaired (mostly) since then but we have never taken 101 and have plenty of time so will give it a try, at least once. Will let you know what we find park/resort wise as we go. We recently stayed at the Winchester Bay RV Resort and had a great stay.