I95 from Vegas to Reno

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Darin Kent, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Darin Kent

Darin Kent
    Expand Collapse

We're heading out next week on a trip to Red Woods (Ramblin Redwoods RV Park) or 4 Seasons in Oregon. We leave in Phx Az. The shortest route is through LA up the coast thru SF etc. However, with Covid and CA traffic, I'm hesitant to take this path. There is another option thru Vegas up thru Reno etc. I95. My only concern is this way is a 2 lane freeway all way to our destination. I'm not opposed to 2 lane freeways but I'm hearing this isn't that friendly of a road (construction and crazy drivers)...

Any advice before we start booking our in between stops is greatly appreciated.

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Last fall we did this trip in reverse. We left out of Crescent City and took Hwy 101 south to Petaluma. We did not want to go through San Francisco so we took several small roads east out of Petaluma that eventually put us on I-5 south just north of Stockton. That stretch was small 2 lane roads, but they were descent and it was not for very long.. Also this route took us near Sonoma and Napa which was very interesting because we had never been through the wine country before. We stayed on I-5 to Bakersfield, and then headed toward Las Vegas. So heading out of Phoenix you could go to Bakersfield and get on I-5 there and do our route in reverse. We found this to be a good route, but of course,the virus was not a problem then.

We have also gone from Vegas to Reno on US95 (this is not an interstate). I don't recall any problems with it except high wind, but this was about 8 years ago so I know things could be different now.

3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Welcome to the Forum Darin Kent - - -

You might consider taking the I-10 West out of Phoenix to Hwy 57 North, to the 210 West that will take you directly to I-5 heading North up thru central Calif. This is a good route if you are in a hurry as you can take I-5 right up into and thru Oregon. If you want to make it a slower trip with some time to relax you can cut over off of I-5 to Hwy 101 at several areas (Hwy 299 West out of Redding is a really nice and easy drive) and enjoy some great scenery at a tad slower pace. You didn't say what type and size RV you will be driving/towing but Hwy 101 north or Petaluma is fine for all types of RV's. We've driven it many times and never once had a problem. As mentioned it's slower than I-5 but worth it if you have the time. And there are several good parks and campgrrounds to stay at along the way. Let us know which route you decide on and I can give you some recommendations based upon our stays at them. Hope this helps, have a safe and enjoyable trip..............

Regards, BankShot..............(aka Terry)

#3 BankShot, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

OOPS!!! I thought Ramblin' Redwoods RV Park was up in Oregon. Didn't bother to check the location. Turns out it's in Crescent City CA which of course is right on Hwy 101. Makes it even mo betta to get to for you, along with a much more scenic drive using 101 as mentioned above......:D

BankShot..............((aka Terry)