IT's ON!!! September 2023 Texas, Nashville, Atlanta & Orlando

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by The5goodwins, May 28, 2021.

1. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

So, thanks to a generous payout (For a hand that now is apparently a 10% disability) The Goodwin 2022 (Worst COVID case March 2023) is on!!!!! Either way we are going.

Here is where I lean on the amazing people on the forum for ideas and sage advice. We are thinking the following and breaking the trip into 3 parts.
    At this point the trip will be Hire car and hotels/Units as the costings for RV Hire AND Resorts/Camps/KOA is prohibitive.

Part 1 Texas
    Fly into Fort Worth and spend 10 nights with a hire car between Fort Worth and San Antonio. Trip will include things like Fort Worth Sale yards, Texas Hill country & LBJ Ranch. Austin Food tours and sights, San Antonio history and river walk etc then fly out of Texas (San Antonio??)

Part 2 Nashville & Atlanta (This is where I REALLY need some ideas and advice)
    Fly into Nashville hire car (5 nights....is that enough?) Bourbon distillery tours, music, Main Street etc.....
    From here we would likely drive down to Orlando (9.5 hours) via Atlanta. Drive between Nashville and Atlanta is around 4 hours which is our very top limit for hours in the car with 3 teenagers.
    Atlanta (3 nights?......is that enough?) Cocoa Cola......Southern sights?
    Then its about 7 hours to Orlando.... too long we would do a night (or 2 at a stretch if you guys have some ideas for locations).

Part 3 Orlando & Florida
    10 to 12 nights in Orlando that would include probably 5 or 6 days of parks and water parks (Probably split up) with drives to Kennedy space centre and down to Miami, everglades etc (Again REALLY looking for ideas outside of Orlando)

The Flip around idea
    Another idea is to turn the trip around (You can fly direct from Australia to Fort Worth) Fly into Los Angeles and then fly to Nashville do Part 2 and 3 first then fly Orlando to San Antonio and back out of Fort Worth to Australia.

I think the above as it stands is about 32 nights and we are prepared to do 35 nights. Ambitious yes but I'm sure @BankShot , @mdcamping, @NYDutch, @Rollin Ollens will tell you all ambitious is what we do:D:p

Anyway the Spreadsheet is ready to go with your ideas and suggestions.

Thanks for taking the time to read this........

2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I'm really glad it's starting to come together for you and the family! I'll give your itinerary some thought and see what suggestions I can come up with...

The5goodwins likes this.
  3. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

In ft. Worth, I believe you mean you are going to visit the stockyards. That's a good idea. May I also suggest looking into the "6th floor museum" this is where Kennedy was shot from the school book depository building. I found it interesting.

The5goodwins likes this.
  4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hello Mr. Goodwin...aka Jason - - - I can't be of much help to you for this trip that has finally been assembled and ready to take but I will mention one thing you might consider. You and the family would most likely really enjoy a trip just up the road from Fort Worth to 6 Flags Over Texas in Arlington. I have been there and the park has added many insane thrill rides since, including El Diablo, the world's largest loop coaster.....:eek: As for the other areas on your list I've been to many but that was many years ago on business trips which did not include any 'fun time'. What you have laid out sounds like a month or more of serious fun and lots of excitement and good times. Glad to hear your hand has improved and you aren't going to lose use of it other than what you mentioned. I also agree that what you said about renting an RV for that long a time period as it would not be cost effective. You would probably have to rent a car anyway for certain things you wanted to do plus which would again add additional expenses. Also you can cover a lot more ground in a shorter time period by car. I'm sure there will be a few others who know the areas you will be visiting much better than this west coaster does and they will be jumping in shortly with some great suggestions for you to consider. Good hearing from you again, will look forward to all the pictures and stories that we will all be sharing once you are under way.......................

Best regards, Terry..............(aka BankShot)

The5goodwins likes this.
  5. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I can only comment on Texas. The rest of your locations are still sitting in the bucket list. We loved Hill Country. One place may be significant to you. The Gruene Historic District in New Braunfels. The town was originally named "Goodwin"!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruene,_New_Braunfels,_Texas

The Gruene Hall is a cool place to visit (Gruene is pronounced Green)
    https://gruenehall.com/

You might get lucky and be there when a country music star is playing. If not, the beer is always cold there. You might also try some Texas BBQ. BBQ flavors differ from area to area and State to State. Texas has the best IMO!

I know you will enjoy your trip. Make sure you keep us informed.

Darrell

The5goodwins likes this.
  6. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

NYDutch likes this.
  7. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

For part #2? I hear Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/Dollywood area of Tennessee gets a lot of tourism. (amusement parks, Dollywood) Plus at the foothills of the Smoky Mountain National Forest. I have never been there so I can't compare it to Nashville or anywhere in Tenn. Just info to consider.

Jason sounds like a wonderful trip you have planned I will keep an eye on this thread. Looking forward to seeing pics in the future! :cool:

Mike

The5goodwins likes this.
  8. Hotrod27

Hotrod27
    Expand Collapse

orlando has 3 drag strips at least 2 nascar close by , Discovery cove is our must do stop , free meals for all , as much as you want , huge lazyman river , dolphins , , many other things in the park plus free admission to seaworld next door on another day , also Kennedy space centre , and the Atlantic ocean , the gulf of mexico never impressed me much , the outback is a steak place in orlando , and the shopping is really good on international drive , , i just assume you will do disney , but i only like animal world , myself

9. Hotrod27

Hotrod27
    Expand Collapse

we will be there about oct 15 give or take