Ladder carriers

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by BrendaD, Sep 9, 2020.

1. BrendaD

BrendaD
    Expand Collapse

I have a small travel trailer, it doesn’t have a bumper and can’t carry anything on the frame without it voiding the warranty. However, I can on the ladder. I have a small generator that weighs 45 lbs. I need some ideas how I might be able to carry it on the ladder that would be secure and still be able to remove it when I want too. I would love any and all ideas.
    Thanks,
    Brenda

2. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

I would not do that, as the ladder mount is probably not strong enough to support that kind of weight bouncing down the road. Can you put the generator in the trunk? Or set it inside the trailer while underway and then remove it when you land somewhere?

3. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Or can you put it on the roof?

BrendaD likes this.
  4. BrendaD

BrendaD
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for your suggestions. I have a suv and have been putting it in the camper while traveling, then move to the vehicle when I park. It takes awhile to get rid of the smell in ether place. Even though my generator only weighs 45 lbs it would be nice to not have to move it allot. I have a GEO PRO 19ft, the roofs are not flat. The manufacturer told me the ladder is designed to hold up to maybe 150 lbs to carry two bikes.

5. Hitch2go

Hitch2go
    Expand Collapse

They make a rack for mounting a generator above the propane tanks on the trailer tongue.
    Camping World carries it. You just need to make sure that it is very secure to prevent theft.

https://www.campingworld.com/traile...VEtbACh0hLgilEAQYASABEgLqB_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

mdcamping likes this.
  6. BrendaD

BrendaD
    Expand Collapse

I have a large window on the front of mine, so I hate to block my view. May have to. Thanks!
    I wish I could come up with something like this, made out of metal of course.

Attached Files:

7. Hitch2go

Hitch2go
    Expand Collapse

The ladder can’t withstand the weight of the generator bouncing on it from the rough roads, even with the type of rack you showed in the picture. Most of the RV techs we’ve used don’t trust ladders to climb on the roof. They typically use a step ladder. You could have a receiver hitch welded to the back frame under your bumper by a hitch shop. We had this done on two different towable trailers that we previously owned. I then put a cargo rack in the receiver hitch. I got one that is lightweight Aluminum and folds up when I’m not using it. I bought it from trailer.com. Just another idea.

8. BrendaD

BrendaD
    Expand Collapse

The manufacturer told me if I did that it would void the warranty on the frame, that is why they don’t have back bumpers. I appreciate your help, thanks

9. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Putting weight off the back of a trailer creates the risk of trailer sway or fishtailing. I like the idea on post #5

Mike

BrendaD likes this.