Lamp Post Light

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by KentuckyCampin, Mar 14, 2009.

1. KentuckyCampin

KentuckyCampin
    Expand Collapse

How many of you have seen the lamp post lights made out of PVC pipe?? I made one not long ago and it turned out really cool!! I will have to take some pictures of it and post them. Pretty easy to make. Total time to assemble was probably 1.5 hours. It took 2 days to get it done right, as I had to wait for paint to dry completely before assembling.

2. KentuckyCampin

KentuckyCampin
    Expand Collapse

Here are some pictures of the lamp post.

Attached Files:

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

That's a nice looking lamp post. It is much nicer than I expected when you said it was made out of PVC. Is it electric or is that a solar light?

4. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

OMG!!!! :eek: That is fabulous! :D As Texas said, looks nicer in the photo than what you described! If it's a solar, I would love to carry one in my RV to put it outside.

JJ

5. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Oh THIS is totally cool !!!
    What type of paint did you use on that PVC ?
    B)

6. KentuckyCampin

KentuckyCampin
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Mar 16 2009, 12:18 AM) [snapback]15509[/snapback]

That's a nice looking lamp post. It is much nicer than I expected when you said it was made out of PVC. Is it electric or is that a solar light?

Thank you!! It is electric, used an outdoor green extension cord, cut the end off and wired it to the lamp. Plugs up nicely to either the exterior plug on the camper. The light bulb is one of the new CFL's.

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Mar 16 2009, 01:05 AM) [snapback]15510[/snapback]

OMG!!!! :eek: That is fabulous! :D As Texas said, looks nicer in the photo than what you described! If it's a solar, I would love to carry one in my RV to put it outside.

JJ

Thank you. As stated above, it is electric, however, a solar powered one would be just as easy to make. Hardest part would be figuring out just which light you wanted. I picked up all the materials at Lowes for around $45.

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Mar 17 2009, 02:41 PM) [snapback]15528[/snapback]

Oh THIS is totally cool !!!
    What type of paint did you use on that PVC ?
    B)

The only thing I painted was the light housing. I could only find that style in black. So I primed and painted it white. The PVC is already white. Just have to use the PVC solvent to clean the ink printing off of the PVC. Then just let it dry completely and clean it with any standard spray cleaner like 409, or even glass cleaner. Being white, it will get a few marks on it, but it will come clean with a quick shot of cleaner. I have seen them painted black and gold, but that may be a pain, as the paint would probably scrape off of the PVC easily.

7. TXBobcat

TXBobcat
    Expand Collapse

Nice looking light post.
    Would you give us some detail as to what you used (I know PVC) and how you assembled it.
    The base is made from what and how do you keep it from tiping over?
    Did you drill a hole through the top and insert a horizontal length of pvc?
    How did you put the lamp onto the pvc? Drill a hole in a cap for the main PVC it looks like.

Like many others I made a PVC pole for my flag and I made a PVC rack for my site sign.

I can understand using a Solar Light and wiring it electrically.

Good Job
    BC

8. KentuckyCampin

KentuckyCampin
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(TXBobcat @ Mar 18 2009, 05:01 PM) [snapback]15537[/snapback]

Nice looking light post.
    Would you give us some detail as to what you used (I know PVC) and how you assembled it.
    The base is made from what and how do you keep it from tiping over?
    Did you drill a hole through the top and insert a horizontal lenght of pvc or use some type of Tee? How did you put the lamp onto the pvc?

Like many others I made a PVC pole for my flag and I made a PVC rack for my site sign.

I can understand using a Solar Light and wiring it electrically.

Good Job
    BC

The main post is made of 2" pvc, 6 ' long. The base is nothing more than a toilet flange with an adapter to adapt the 2" pvc. At the top is an end cap. I drilled a hole through the center of it to mount the light. The flag hanger is 1/2" pvc with end caps. The base is glued in place but I did not glue the end cap on top in place. Just in case the light gets broken or damaged, I can just replace the light assembly. The flag hanger portion has one end cap glued on, and one is not. That way I can take it out of the main pole for storage ease. It also helps in placing the flag on easier. I drilled a hole centered through the main post to slide the flag hanger on, I think it was 3/4", cant remember. Just measure the OD of the 1/2" pvc. I used my drill press to get the hole straight and centered.
    As far as securing it to the ground, I picked up the large nails that are the size of tent stakes, at Lowes as well. Drive 4 of those through the toilet flange and into the ground at your campsite and voila!!

I saw a couple of these at different campsites and could never find any plans online, so I just winged this one with some imagination, and it came out looking pretty good. Im glad you guys like it. If you make one, post some pics so I can see them!! I love seeing neat gadgets, especially something homemade!!!

9. TXBobcat

TXBobcat
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the details. Sounds like it would be easy to build..

Where do you get the flags. Any easy place particular.

10. KentuckyCampin

KentuckyCampin
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(TXBobcat @ Mar 20 2009, 10:01 PM) [snapback]15568[/snapback]

Thanks for the details. Sounds like it would be easy to build..

Where do you get the flags. Any easy place particular.

Ebay, here is the store I bought mine from. They have just about everything you could imagine, and they are also personalized.

http://stores.ebay.com/Lorenz-Personalized-Gifts

And here is their online site as well....

http://www.lorenzgifts.com/camping.html

11. TXBobcat

TXBobcat
    Expand Collapse

Thank you I will check it out...

BC