Need big brains to help with Maine trip planning

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Todd H, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Todd H

Todd H
    Expand Collapse

Every summer my now 12 year old son and I go on some kind of summer camping/adventure experience. After spending the last few summers in the White Mountain area (Lost River Campground last year, which we liked very much), I think I would like to venture into Maine, but, after hours and hours of research, I am completely confused by the sheer size of Maine and all of the different options.

So, I turn to you for help, and hope you can provide some guidance. Our trip this year will likely be in mid-late August, and our ideal trip will include:

- campground, public or private, that offers fairly private tent sites, preferably along some kind of river or waterway, that has bathrooms/showers and preferably laundry, as I expect to be traveling for awhile. Bonus points for running water at the sites, camp store, game room, etc. Want to feel like we are in nature, and not hear highway noise or Betty and Josh knocking boots in a neighboring site.

- A location that, while still relatively remote, still has things like gas stations and sources of food within a few miles -- I'm not really planning on cooking at the campsite and we need to eat.

- an intermediate white water rafting trip that is adventurous enough for my inexperienced son, and won't kill us! So many rafting options, that I need some help identifying the right trip and company. Thinking class II-III, or maybe the occasional gentle class IV, but I really do not want any of us flying out of the raft...been there, done that, almost died, and now I have a healthy fear.

- A location that has activities, other than rafting, such as fly-fishing (would love to hire a guide to teach us), golfing, downhill mountain biking, etc. Willing to drive significant distance from campsite for these activities (like 2 hours max).

If you know Maine, I would truly appreciate any recommendations. Thank you in advance.

-

mdcamping likes this.
  2. Todd H

Todd H
    Expand Collapse

Just realized that this is more of an RV forum, but I would still appreciate your insight or recommendations for a more appropriate forum. Thank you.

mdcamping likes this.
  3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Actually we have recently made an effort to include more diverse camping locations other than RV parks, so while we still have a lot of information for RVers, we welcome questions and participation from folks who like to tent camp. In fact you may not be aware, but we even changed our name from RVParkReviews to CampgroundReviews to indicate that the site now includes all types of camps.. So welcome; you will fit right in and we will look forward to getting reviews from you about your camping experiences.

Todd H, mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  4. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I'm not all that familiar with inland Maine, but I would think that the availability of white water rafting would probably limit your search area. I did a quick Google search for "white water rafting in Maine" and the results were pretty much clustered in one area.

mdcamping and Paythebill like this.