New from CA

Discussion in 'Welcome to Campground Reviews' started by blueaaron, Apr 15, 2018.

1. blueaaron

blueaaron
    Expand Collapse

Hello, Aaron here. I want to start early but I haven't acquired an RV yet but my family is interested to have one. For now, I'm doing outdoor camping and other activities using my pickup truck. Right now, I'm looking for the best information to start with and spots to travel and discover. Glad I found this community.

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hi Aaron, (aka blueaaron) and welcome to the forum from a fellow Californian. RVing is a great way for a family to enjoy the great outdoors and open roads and to see some of this country's wonderful sights and scenery. Buying an RV opens the door wide to doing this and there are several types and many sizes that you and your family will have fun looking at and determining which one best suits you needs and requirements. You may want to explore buying a 5th wheel or trailer and towing it with your current truck if the truck will do that job. Class C or B RVs are also great for starting out, be sure to check on them. And then there's the Class A in both gas and diesel types and they run the gamut in size from around 27 to 45 feet :eek: in length. Whatever you feel comfortable starting out with will, along with what you feel you want to spend, most likely be your overall best choice. Take some time and check out the RV parks and campgrounds within a reasonable driving distance from your home base. The first trip or two you make are going to be trial/shake down runs for both you and your family. Use the reviews section of this website for lots of great info on those parks. Driving or towing any RV is a totally different animal than driving a car or pickup truck. Take your time choosing the type and size and don't be mislead by a salesperson who is trying to up sell you or convince you that you need a Class A when all you really need or want is a Class C, etc. Tell us where you live and no doubt several members will jump in and recommend some great places they've been to that will get you started.down all those open roads..............

Again, have fun with your family exploring the various RVs available. If your kids are still young just wait till they go into an RV that has "bunk beds"........ :D Ask questions on this forum whenever you have them as you'll for certain gets lots of responses and answers to them. Hope this has been of help to you............

Regards, BankShot...........(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  3. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Hello Aaron. Welcome aboard. We think your choice of starting early is a lot better than starting late. We also think you have come to the right place for help if you need it. Users of RVPR have many years of experience and, for the most part, we are a friendly bunch and eager to help out a fellow camper.

Most of us probably started out in the same boat as you. We started tenting at a very early ages sharing the campgrounds with Dinosaurs.....well maybe not quite that far back...but close. From the tent we moved to two tent trailers, one soft and then a hard top. After that came a TT (Travel Trailer) that was the epitome of luxury (in our eyes). A full bathroom!! (Our girls were small then and we used to have to carry them to the Lu first thing in the morning so having one onboard was heaven.) Of course a galley with hot and cold running water, stove and fridge were a pretty big deal back then too. Then two C class Motor Homes and now we have graduated to a small A class to use now that we are retired.

When, and if, you decide to move up a notch, just know that whatever suits your lifestyle within your budget is the best. There is a lot of choice out there. Do your homework and I'm sure you will find years of enjoyment. We live on a big continent with lots to see and do.

Darrell & Jerry

4. blueaaron

blueaaron
    Expand Collapse

Thank you so much for the comprehensive insights and warm welcome!

5. Monica998

Monica998
    Expand Collapse

Hello, Aaron.