Retiring and headed out to Alaska in our truck camper.

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Gene and Mem, May 17, 2020.

1. Gene and Mem

Gene and Mem
    Expand Collapse

We've been planning an Alaska camping trip for about a year, leaving from New England, headed to Yellowstone (if open) and then up and over. Taking our time to relax, fish, enjoy the country, Headed out in June, to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Banff, Prince George, Whitehorse, Paxson, Denali, Haines and the ferry south. Im an older army pilot and my wife is a retiring physician. We are ready. Any news or suggestions are welcome. Thanks. Gene

2. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse

Well, unless you can find a way to get to Alaska without going through Canada first, you might have to wait sometime before getting there. As it stands the border is closed to all non-essential traffic and it doesn't look like it will open up to recreational vehicles for awhile.

Gene and Mem and Rollin Ollens like this.
  3. Bama Camper

Bama Camper
    Expand Collapse

Gene and Mem likes this.
  4. Gene and Mem

Gene and Mem
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. Appreciate the info. We are using as many tools as we can. We will head out and adjust as necessary. Our truck camper is pretty self sufficient for travel off the grid, for a while anyway. Went to Grand Canyon for first big trip last year, and got married. No telling what we will do this time.

5. Fun finders

Fun finders
    Expand Collapse

The Canadian Government just announced that Canada will keep the borders closed for non essential travel until at least June 21.

Gene and Mem likes this.
  6. Gene and Mem

Gene and Mem
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. We are packing and getting ready for 4 months on the road. Leaving June 8. I like technical stuff, like GPS, CB radio, Drones, cameras,tire pressure gauges, WiFi etc. Now, where I put this stuff, well, I yield to better minds at organizing. Thanks for the help

7. Rebeccaswatson

Rebeccaswatson
    Expand Collapse

I would highly recommend Medora, ND. It is wonderful, if everything is open.