Retiring and headed out to Alaska in our truck camper.

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Gene and Mem, May 17, 2020.

1. Gene and Mem

Gene and Mem
    Expand Collapse

We've been planning an Alaska camping trip for about a year, leaving from New England, headed to Yellowstone (if open) and then up and over. Taking our time to relax, fish, enjoy the country, Headed out in June, to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Banff, Prince George, Whitehorse, Paxson, Denali, Haines and the ferry south. Im an older army pilot and my wife is a retiring physician. We are ready. Any news or suggestions are welcome. Thanks. Gene

2. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Well, unless you can find a way to get to Alaska without going through Canada first, you might have to wait sometime before getting there. As it stands the border is closed to all non-essential traffic and it doesn't look like it will open up to recreational vehicles for awhile.

Gene and Mem and Rollin Ollens like this.
  3. Bama Camper

Bama Camper
    Expand Collapse

Gene and Mem likes this.
  4. Gene and Mem

Gene and Mem
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. Appreciate the info. We are using as many tools as we can. We will head out and adjust as necessary. Our truck camper is pretty self sufficient for travel off the grid, for a while anyway. Went to Grand Canyon for first big trip last year, and got married. No telling what we will do this time.

MidMoLoJo likes this.
  5. Fun finders

Fun finders
    Expand Collapse

The Canadian Government just announced that Canada will keep the borders closed for non essential travel until at least June 21.

Gene and Mem likes this.
  6. Gene and Mem

Gene and Mem
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. We are packing and getting ready for 4 months on the road. Leaving June 8. I like technical stuff, like GPS, CB radio, Drones, cameras,tire pressure gauges, WiFi etc. Now, where I put this stuff, well, I yield to better minds at organizing. Thanks for the help

7. Rebeccaswatson

Rebeccaswatson
    Expand Collapse

I would highly recommend Medora, ND. It is wonderful, if everything is open.

8. akreese

akreese
    Expand Collapse

We are long time Alaskans returning home from the Lower 48 via Minnesota to Montana through Canada. We will start West next week. We are pulling a small travel trailer. We spoke to border patrol several weeks ago before flying out of Alaska to be sure we could cross to go home. Their web sites are very informative as well. Yes, the Milepost is a travel essential for the trip because it lists all available gas/diesel and other services (camping, stores, etc.) along the various routes. We have heard that some Canadian truckers have recently complained about lack of available gas/diesel on some roads. We will be using the Milepost to look up businesses and call ahead to be sure that gas is available when we need it. Even if Canada opens up in June to non-essential travelers the best advice is to be prepared for some businesses to remain closed along the roads and call ahead when in doubt. Also plan on filling up your tank at first available gas/diesel when your tank is half empty and carry a 5 gallon gas can with you if possible for use in the more remote areas of B.C. and Yukon. Also check with your cell phone carrier to see if you will have coverage in Canada or if you can modify your plan to include international travel through Canada. Traveling through Canada this summer may pose additional challenges so be extra prepared. It's a beautiful drive! Congrats on your retirements. And if we run into any gas/diesel problems or other unique issues along the road I will try to post the information.

Onemoretrail and Rollin Ollens like this.