Route 66

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Cyclonic, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Cyclonic

Cyclonic
    Expand Collapse

53088211_10218348975859005_4371759352747393024_n.jpg

I am taking nearly a month off this June to venture from Northern Virginia to about as far west as I can away from here, Southern California.

The trip out had kinda spawned a life of its own, with doing what my geographically challenged wife (though I still love her) wants to do, Big Bend. That is the first week out where she flys out to meet me. After Big Bend we will work our way along the boarder to Southern California.

She will then depart on a red eye from LAX (I get a lot more leave than her) and I am free to spend seven days working my way back.

Route 66 is something I have always wanted to drive, and we have in the past touched on portions, in the Texas panhandle and to Seligman while on a van tour to the grand canyon. This time I am looking at from Barstow, CA, bouncing on and off to St. Louis. I figure I have about five days to do this, give me two more to get home before it is back to the grind.

I have some maps but also looking for some recommended must stop locations from an RVer's perspective. Places to take iconic photos of the trailer, maybe hidden gem campsites to spend a night?

Jason Goodwin and Paythebill like this.
  2. CampingRooster

CampingRooster
    Expand Collapse

I have not made that trip but I live a mile from Route 66 in Los Angeles County. All I can tell you is at one point around San Bernardino, use the freeways to go the rest of the way to Santa Monica unless you have a week to spend driving through city after city after city ........ Seriously, there are too many traffic lights and it is heavily used by commuters. Welcome though! You can't beat the weather in Southern California in June. Which way are going to head back? If your out here, you have to see the Sierra Nevadas in June (only about 5 hours north of L.A.)

Cyclonic and Paythebill like this.
  3. Cyclonic

Cyclonic
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. I will be headed directly east. I plan to kinda do a hop on, hop off method of traveling it as I only have a week to get back to the DC area. Looking to catch some of the more interesting and historic portions of it. I probably won't really even hook up with it until I reach Victorville. We are now going to bounce on and off it headed west as well, which will allow my wife and myself to experience a bit more of it.

Paythebill likes this.