Scales & State Line Inspection Stations Requirements

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Don-n-Lisa, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Cyclonic

Cyclonic
    Expand Collapse

I am really sorry you had to find yourself on 270 :rolleyes:

Yes, the scales on 270 state all vehicles over 5T GVWR. I have never been through there when the scales have been open or even with my RV, but I wouldn't put it past the Maryland State Police to pull over everything that blows by that one when it is open. MD's station on 301 is the same, though again I have never been by it when it has been open, and I have been by that one a lot more often.

2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

The following thread from an FMCA forum is on this topic. The general consensus is that RVs are probably are legally required to stop but no one really expects them to nor will anyone do anything about them not stopping. I have never stopped and don't plan to change my behavior.

https://community.fmca.com/topic/8147-weigh-station-in-maryland/

3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

In our years of RVing the only time we have stopped at a weigh station was at the Seven Feathers truck stop in Canyonville, OR and that was because I wanted to have the coach weighed fully loaded to better assess what the tire pressures should be. Other than that we always drive right on by all the others we pass. Several times I have seen a CHP or other state police vehicle sitting with an officer at the wheel (possibly just waiting to pounce) and have seen him/her look straight at us as we drove on by. So far so good, no red and blue lights flashing in the monitor............ :D

BankShot.............(aka Terry)

#23 BankShot, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  4. amareto

amareto
    Expand Collapse

My MH with tow is around 30-32K depending on what's in it. I've been to 40 states and never pulled into a weigh station. I don't recall seeing any RVs do that either. There are a handful of agriculture stations that I have encountered over the years, but that's not a weight issue.

NYDutch likes this.
  5. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I did hit a weigh station in Ohio some years back that was signed for all vehicles over 10,000 lbs, but just much got a wave through.