Site Space suggestion

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by TedandElle, Jun 23, 2017.

1. TedandElle

TedandElle
    Expand Collapse

I'm starting to catch up on my reviews and noticed the choices for site space go from "not long enough for my RV" to "long enough for my RV and tow vehicle" without an in-between option. I just stayed at a site where, due to poor tree placement, I could park my MH but not the tow vehicle. Perhaps we could add that as an option in between or maybe change the first option to "not long enough for my RV and tow vehicle" or something like that.

Thanks,

TedandElle

Paythebill and Wildfire like this.
  2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I agree that it's a good suggestion and I will forward it to the programmers. Thanks.

Paythebill likes this.
  3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Actually the standardized choices for site size are supposed to be:
    Not big enough for my motorhome
    Just long enough for my motorhome
    Long enough for my motorhome and a towed vehicle
    Quite a bit longer than my motorhome and a towed vehicle

And as you can see the progression from not being big enough for the RV to plenty big enough for the RV and tow car is similar to what you suggested. However, the problem which you saw and reported is accurate. Currently the second choice is worded incorrectly to say "Just long enough for my motorhome and tow vehicle." The tow vehicle should not be included in this choice.

This has been reported to our programmers, and we are hoping the wording will be corrected soon.

Until the correction is made, I can give you a tip that will allow you avoid this problem:

From the drop down menu click on Edit Profile.
    Scroll down and near the bottom the the page there will be a place to indicate your type of RV. Use the drop down menu to choose your type of RV. You may also indicate the length on the next line.
    Click on Save Changes.

The next time you submit a review, your RV type will automatically be entered on the review form. For some reason entering the type of RV this way causes the site size choices to be worded correctly as I indicated above.

I hope this will help you make a more accurate choice about the site size in the future. And thank you for your support.

Paythebill and TedandElle like this.
  4. Patyacht

Patyacht
    Expand Collapse

Just starting to use this site and right off the bat I see a problem. I do not see a problem with the standard site size choices (like Just long enough for my motorhome) but no where in any reviews does it indicate to the reader the size of the reviewers RV setup. So "Just long enough for my motorhome" means noting to me without know how big your motorhome is. Can that be fixed?

Paythebill likes this.
  5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

How about just keeping it really simple?

Long enough for my ___ foot RV and towed/tow vehicle
    Not long enough for my ___ foot RV and towed/tow vehicle
    Side parking available for towed/tow vehicles Yes___ No___

Make it so the reviewer could insert his or hers own length of RV and tow/towed vehicle........

I would think that anyone with any size RV and tow/towed vehicle would be able to know whether their unit would or would not fit into this particular space. At least this RVer would............ :D

Not trying to create additional problems here, just trying to keep things simple and usable, etc.....

Regards to all, BankShot.............(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  6. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I agree that your format is good, but I think we still need the choice that says the site was not long enough for my ____ foot RV. And, while not essential, I think it would be nice to know if the site had more than just adequate room. So basically I've gone back to having 4 choices rather than two, and I also like your suggestion about the side parking, so I guess I've ruined your idea of keeping this simple.

But maybe this will make up for it a little bit. There may be a more simple way to provide the length of the RV. As I mentioned in post #3, the type and length of an RV can be entered on a member's profile. This procedure already auto-populates the "Type of RV" on the Submit Review Form, so it is probably possible to have the length auto-populate on the form also. And if someone has not filled in the length on his profile, then he would have to enter it manually when checking off the information.

Another suggestion for displaying the RV length is to have the final sentence of a review say, "We camped at [campground name] in a [length in feet] ft. [RV type]. And all of this would be auto-populated.

However this is done, I think it is a good idea to include the RV length somehow somewhere.

7. rvOutrider

rvOutrider
    Expand Collapse

Totally agree with Texasrvers site length comments. "We camped here in a motorhome." is useless information without mentioning the length of the RV. Big Rig access is also pretty vague since there is no standard for that term.

mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  8. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Assuming the user filled it in, the RV length data is already in our account profiles. It shouldn't be too much of a programming exercise to insert it in that final sentence along with the RV type that's already there.

9. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Not all sites at many RV Parks/Campgrounds are uniform either. We have a very short Class A. It is still considered a “Big Rig” (although we do not). We are seeing more and more “smaller” Class As on the road now. We can fit into almost any space so you are correct Big Rig is not a term that should be used to imply size. When we see the term “Big Rig Friendly” we believe that it means that interior roads are wide and manoeuvrable with no low branches and not that all sites are at least 65 feet long and 40 feet wide. We try to make sure the pics that are added to our reviews give a good idea of the site features. We believe that old adage.....a picture is worth a thousand words. If more folks added a few it would help many.
    Darrell and Jerry

10. rvOutrider

rvOutrider
    Expand Collapse

This is an excellent discussion and I hope the owners of campgroundreviews will pay attention.

Our right is a 40ft DP with Jeep in tow which gets up to almost 60 feet total length. Yes, photos are great. I also use Google Map Satellite view a lot to try to determine space size and turns.

11. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Don't hold me to this, but I think the next update to the website will add the length of the RV to the last sentence (We camped at . . .) of each review.

12. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Now that would be a useful bit of info to add with the next update...:)

mdcamping and NYDutch like this.
  13. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I think it's a bit of a stretch to assume that Big Rig Friendly means that all sites are 65 x 40. IMO all it should mean is that some sites are probably that big, but, more importantly, the internal roads are suitable for larger RVs.

FWIW, a problem I have always had with this attribute is that whether or not a park is considered "big rig friendly" is often dependent on the driving skills of the person making that judgement. I have been a customer at some parks that others have criticized as not being big friendly but where I didn't have any concerns. There are some parks that are very obviously big rig friendly, but there are others where it's really a judgement call. The park owner make use the term to describe his park, but not every customer may feel the same way. I much prefer attributes that are fact-based, not subjective.

Paythebill likes this.
  14. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I like the idea of giving the reviewer the option to adding the length of their RV besides RV type on the end of the review. I think this keeps it straight forward.

One thing that always concerns me when someone data enters "my site was not long enough for my RV and tow vehicle" this is all based on skill level, their perception on what should be a properly sized site for their RV and most importantly "attitude". docj touched base on this and I agree this is all suggestive.

Imo I don't think you want to over burden reviewers with lots of data entry

Mike

Paythebill likes this.
  15. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

That's where just automatically grabbing the data from our profiles and adding it to the "We camped here in a..." line in our reviews comes in. No burden on the reviewer...

Paythebill and mdcamping like this.
  16. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Yeah I think I created a little confusion with that last line, as I was trying to support the first paragraph I wrote and should have put the line with it and done a better job writing it correctly :)

I not making excuses but just lost my harddrive on my notebook computer 2 days ago and I'm now dealing with this tablet I have seldom used :( not easy getting use to.

Got to go hunting for a new notebook in the upcoming weeks

Mike

Paythebill likes this.
  17. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

No problem, Mike. I hope you find a good notebook at a fair price!

Paythebill likes this.