Upgrading Shower Head

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by ctravelgal01, Mar 9, 2021.

1. ctravelgal01

ctravelgal01
    Expand Collapse

We travel in a 2019 Minnie Winnie 23 feet; because it's so new I rarely think about making upgrades. Recently I read an article in RV Magazine about making inexpensive upgrades to your rig. The article recommended upgrading your shower head with an Oxygenics brand which would create stronger water pressure and save water! Camping World had them on sale this month and since I feel our shower experiences are less than ideal I purchased one. It is absolutely amazing much stronger water pressure and if you are really in a situation where you need to conserve water there is an on/off you can use while showering. Excellent, excellent investment!

Robert Rien and BankShot like this.
  2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

We did the same thing several years ago and upgraded our entire shower assembly, head, faucets and tubing, etc. The head unit is adjustable for all different types of spray. Gave us a much stronger water flow and yet didn't use any additional water. Made taking a shower just like at home. I don't remember what brand it was we bought but it was a good one and we really enjoy it. One of the neat things one can do to improve the RV experience for sure..............

Regards, BankShot.............(aka Terry)

3. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

:):)
    We upgraded our shower head with the same brand as you stated above.
    Absolutely enjoy the upgrade.:)

BankShot likes this.
  4. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

We use a standard residential shower head without any problem. It also has an On/Off switch. All shower heads are required to have flow restrictors that limit them to 2.5 gal/min.

5. leaf peeper

leaf peeper
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I've had an Oxygenics in all my RV's for the past 20 years. It was always one of the 1st upgrades I installed. The gpm for them is under 2.0. The one I had in our Phaeton was 1.75. I don't understand quite how they work, but they put out a much stronger spray than any of the OEM shower heads did, especially if the CG is full & has low pressure during peak shower taking times (or any other time for that matter). Plus, with however they infuse oxygen into it causing it to put out less gpm than the OEM ones, my gray tank didn't fill up as fast. Not necessarily a problem with the 100gal one in the Phaeton, but definitely a good thing when I had the 30gal grey in the TT.

BankShot likes this.
  6. JohnBoyToo

JohnBoyToo
    Expand Collapse

We replaced with a residential too, but found the one we selected was so large that when traveling it could bounce off the holder :( - not a nice sound from the rear engine pusher area :)

So, started laying it on the shower floor when moving and put a bit of pipe insulation around the hose to stop any wear from moving around...

BankShot likes this.
  7. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

We found out early on that even tho we bought ours with many extras and option, etc. there were still a few areas where the manufacturer cut corners to save a buck or two. And the shower head assembly was definitely one of them. The wand itself was a cheap plastic spray unit that was basically useless. Hence as I stated in my above post, we replaced it with a nice residential one as you did. We almost bought one that had a 'huge' head but decided that was a tad overkill so we scaled down and bought one that gives us the same 'shower feel' as at home. One of the better upgrades one can make for sure.............

Welcome to the forum by the way, BankShot.............(aka Terry)

#7 BankShot, Apr 3, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    Paythebill and JohnBoyToo like this.
  8. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

We've been using this Camco showerhead since 2008 and have been quite happy with it. The On/Off valve is a positive off with no "dribble", and the adjustable spray works well for us. We've never had a problem with it jumping out of the standard 3-position holder on even the roughest roads we've traveled.

Paythebill and BankShot like this.
  9. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

We always put ours on the shower floor, but I've never bothered to insulate it.

Paythebill likes this.
  10. John07

John07
    Expand Collapse

My new RV came with the basic shower head, and that barely had any pressure when completely on. This often left me feeling like I still had soap on me after I rinsed off and was very annoying. I started looking for an RV shower head to replace while on my most recent trip and came across this item from Oxygenics and decided to give it a shot. Its handheld design is enough to let me enjoy jet engine power once I am showering. It can deliver really good pressure even if the water pump used in my RV is powered by a battery. In addition, it has most of the features necessary to make it work the way I want, including the wand, wand holder, 60-inch hose, washers, and comfort regulator.

11. John07

John07
    Expand Collapse

I think the Oxygenic shower head is a great choice for RV owners

12. Mark 354

Mark 354
    Expand Collapse

Hi Can anyone recommend a specific Oxygenics model as there are a lot on the market ?

TIA

Mark

13. daltonbourne

daltonbourne
    Expand Collapse
    Traveling

You have many options for a replacement RV shower faucet. Most products come in premium-quality acrylic, while others feature brushed satin nickel or chrome finish. Your choice depends on your aesthetic tastes. I recommend the Dura Faucet DF-SA100S-WT for motorhomes, RVs, and trailers. It has elegant styling and robust construction that should last many years.

14. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

I dont know what type shower you have in your RV, but all showers i've had generally have a standard threaded pipe where you unscrew the old head, and screw on the new head. you don't have to deal with the hot and cold connections or any "mounting plates" to make this change.

--chris.

15. _63db1bc883073

_63db1bc883073
    Expand Collapse

My shower valve diverter is broken, and the water is trickling. I replaced my shower faucet with the same brand as you stated above. It's great! super water flow, and it does the job.

16. _63db1bc883073

_63db1bc883073
    Expand Collapse

Inspect new shower faucet and knobs thoroughly for leaks, including edges and water hoses.