"What Method Do You Use When Backing UP?"

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by BankShot, Feb 3, 2019.

?

"What Method Do You Use When Backing Up Your RV?"

Poll closed Mar 24, 2019.
  1. Use hand signals from my co-pilot

33.3%
  2. Use Walkie-Talkies

38.1%
  3. Use park or campground personnel

4.8%
  4. I do it alone w/o assistance

38.1%
  5. Let someone else do it

4.8%
  6. Other method_______________________________________________________________________________

23.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Thought this might be an interesting poll regarding how we each back our RVs up. I've never created a poll on this forum before but hope it will receive a bunch of responses......:rolleyes:

BankShot............(aka Terry)

Ladder187, mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I voted for walkie-talkies, which we used to use, but now we just use our cell phones put on speaker.

3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I have large mirrors on both sides of the coach and rear view cameras that let me see the full width from the bumper to infinity. I don't know why I would need a spotter...

mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  4. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

In the 'Other' category for which I added my check mark I have a rear view camera. I have also seen more than one RVer who appears to use the 'parking by braille' method that could also qualify as 'other'.:)

mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Because the pole (or whatever) can't yell "Stop; You're going to hit me.":D

We actually have and use mirrors and a back up camera, but another pair of eyes on the ground can't hurt.

6. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

I usually do it myself, but when I'm in a really tight spot, I have one of my kids help spot. One time got hemmed in at the restaurant parking lot at the Grand Canyon. I needed one kid in the front, and another in the back, and we made it.

Chris g.

7. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I'v had too much trouble with "another pair of eyes" trying to direct me into someplace I don't want to go. If there's a pole, tree, height, etc., to be concerned about, I know that before I back in, and will get out and look if for some reason I can't see it in my mirrors or camera view. I've backed up everything from cars and small utility trailers to tour buses and class 8 trucks hauling 53' van trailers unaided for over 50 years. Our 34' Class A motorhome is nothing special, just a big car. I can see more at the rear of our coach when backing, than I can in our non-camera equipped SUV.

8. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

We use a set of walkie-talkies but of course I also use my dash monitor and outside mirrors when backing up. We found out early on that hand signals simply weren't working for us, our sign language was different it seemed, hence the switchover to the talkies. We have three basic communications when backing up. Tail right, tail left, and straighten out. Real simple and direct and we both have it down pat. I can remember the first time I tried backing into a back-in space at one of the first RV parks we stayed at. I thought for sure I was going to back into "something" but fortunately we got backed in with hand signals with no scrapes or bruises. To me that is as my co-pilot would have clobbered me good had I hit something with our new motorhome.........:eek:

BankShot..............(aka Terry)

Ladder187, Paythebill and mdcamping like this.
  9. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Then I'm definitely calling you if we get into a tight spot. So be ready when the time comes. :)

10. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Ditto that Texasrvers............:D

BankShot...........(aka Terry)

Paythebill, mdcamping and NYDutch like this.
  11. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Heh! Last week a new neighbor asked me if I would help her husband back in their 24' TT on the site next to us. She said this was their first trip with it, and the other sites they've had were all pull-throughs. I spent about 20 minutes giving him lessons on how to back in, such as steering with your hand at the bottom of the wheel, moving it in the direction you want the trailer to go, and of course the most important lesson, "GOAL", Get Out And Look, and he finally put the trailer almost perfectly where he wanted it. And with no hand waving or other assistance... :)

12. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Back up camera?.... whats that? :p :D

I will precheck where I want to park my low tech trailer, when DW is with me she will be my extra pair of eyes, for the most part everything goes smooth though their have been a few times where I need my trailer in a specific spot and I have to point out why to her as she is not mechanically inclined. :cool:

Mike

Paythebill, NYDutch and BankShot like this.
  13. icanon

icanon
    Expand Collapse

99% of the time I do it alone but it's that 1% that I may need help as trees, posts, campfire rings or just the site is too tight and full visibility is just not possible.

Paythebill and mdcamping like this.
  14. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

In my RVing years, which by the way pale by comparison to many others on this forum, I have learned not to trust my mirrors and cameras 100% unless of course it is a simple back up in a wide open space where there is nothing close by for a football field or so. Even when backing into relatively easy back in spaces we still use our trusty set of talkies and the extra set of eyeballs. Just makes me feel way mo betta by doing so. Watched a Class A backing into a space a while back where the co-pilot was outside waving her hands back and forth and yelling at the poor pilot to go this way and that way, followed by a loud scream telling him to watch out for the hookup pedestal that he ended up backing into anyway. Luckily he just "tapped" it and didn't knock it over, etc. By the time they finally did get parked the entire park no doubt had heard all the yelling and cussing. Sad when that happens but it does and IMHO those types shouldn't be RVing they should be out on a cruise ship gorging themselves on food and drink............ INDEED!!!..........:rolleyes:

BankShot................(aka Terry)

15. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I had to choose "Other". Our method is very boring for our fellow campers to watch. We quit entertaining them years ago. No Walkie Talkies. No yelling. No hand signals. We both scout the layout and decide where we need to be parked. Four eyes work better than two for low branches etc to watch for. The co-pilot then stands right where the left rear corner of the coach needs to be. I reverse and watch her in my mirrors. Nope. I have never hit her or even come close........although I may have thought about it on occasion. Timing is important and the less muss and fuss we have to go through the quicker we get to relax with our refreshment.

16. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Sometimes boring is the best! :cool:

We do something similar though there have been a few times where I have had to remind my better half to stay in eyesight of my mirrors. ;)

Mike

Paythebill, NYDutch and BankShot like this.
  17. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Problem I have with using just mirrors and backup cameras is that whenever I see my co-pilot in one of them I momentarily forget what I'm doing and that can lead to some serious bumping and scraping.......... :eek: With the talkies she can stay out sight, still communicate with me, and I don't get distracted and cause problems.............. :D Surely you guys and gals can understand that can't you.......:rolleyes:

Bankshot.............(aka Terry)

Ladder187, Paythebill and NYDutch like this.
  18. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Sometimes mirrors, cameras, spotters, and even GOAL, aren't enough apparently. Yesterday afternoon I watched a fellow pull up to his assigned site, get out and walk the site pointing out to his partner where he wanted her to stand, and then slowly backed his 30' Class A right past her and directly into a large tree, damaging the rear cap despite her frantic arm waving and repeatedly yelling "STOP!!!". To add insult to injury, he cranked the wheel as he pulled away, damaging their scooter carrier. I have no idea what he was thinking...

Paythebill and BankShot like this.
  19. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

That is a sad story to hear Dutch. Like you said it is apparent his mind was not on the task at hand and he paid a costly price for that. We all make mistakes and thankfully most don't cause the damages he incurred but I still feel sorry for him for what happened and I imagine most others would also. We just never know when that "blind spot" is going to jump out and bite us no matter what method/s we are using to back up. Or even while pulling forward at times. Perhaps your post will alert others as to what can and will happen when we don't give 100% of our concentration and " paying attention skills during maneuvers".............:eek:

Always back up with your brain in gear, Terry..............(aka BankShot)

Rollin Ollens, NYDutch and Paythebill like this.
  20. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

With just a couple more weeks to go it seems that "Doing It Alone" is in #1 spot by just one vote and "Use Walkie-Talkies" right behind in #2. Using Hand Signals is close behind at #3. I occasionally do it alone without any assistance from my co-pilot but that is only when we parallel park......:D As for Letting Someone Else Do It or Letting Park Personnel Do It with only one vote each, they are hanging on in last place. Hope a few more will participate in this poll before it closes...................

BankShot..............(aka Terry)

PS: I had thought that the "Other Method" would be a write in spot but it didn't turn out that way when it posted so I am hoping that those of you who marked that spot, which by the way is #4, aren't driving the highways and byways in one those new driverless RVs...........:eek: