Would this information be helpful?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by dbnck, Jun 2, 2018.

1. dbnck

dbnck
    Expand Collapse

Say you're driving on the interstate pretty much in the middle of nowhere and you see a sign on an RV park that says "$10 RV full hookups." Would a review that warns that the sign is not true, and that if you go to that RV park you will be told that they do not in fact offer $10 sites, be useful to you?

2. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

As long as that is not the focus of the review and some other observations are made that might be of some use for other Rvers.

Mike

3. dbnck

dbnck
    Expand Collapse

But what other observations can be made if the reviewer couldn't get past the front gate?

4. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

If you were told by the staff at the office check in? maybe enough to look at the general geography of the campground, maybe some office/store observations? or the size of some of the sites close to the gate if you can see them?

This would be my interpretation of this sites guidelines, but if your in a situation where you can't make any form of observations then I would probably not post a review. IMO :)

Mike

5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Perhaps the question to the owner/manager of the park in question might be, "Why do you have a sign out front saying you offer sites for $10 when in fact you are telling me you don't"..........???
    Doesn't make a lot of sense to me but hey, nothing surprises this old boy anymore in the way some folks do business.........:rolleyes:

BankShot.............(aka Terry)

6. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the park owner explained his sign in the following manner:
    • We have RV sites starting at $10 (probably with no hookups)
    • Some of our RV sites have full hookups (but those cost more than $10)
    IMHO advertising is a way to bring customers to your door. One could argue that this interpretation of the might be a bit deceptive, but it wouldn't be false. Personally, I don't think we would post a review if this is its entire content.

7. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Is the park already listed here with previous reviews?

8. dbnck

dbnck
    Expand Collapse

It turned out it was a membership campground that is not open to the public. I gather that if you join their network, presumably for thousands of dollars, one of the benefits of membership is that you can get a full hookup site for $10.

I even checked the reviews on this site before going, and some said they stayed there on X or Y membership, but nobody made it clear that it is membership only, and one person even said, "Supposed to be a membership club, but freeway sign advertises RV parking $10/night." Apparently even this member thinks it's open to the public.

At the gate, there was a little shack with a porch where I walked up to a window and told the lady in there that I saw the sign on the highway, and asked if they have a site for a 40-foot motorhome for one night. Our conversation ended with, "So you have a sign on the highway that says full hookup RV sites for $10 but you don't actually offer full hookup RV sites for $10?" And she said yes, that's how it is. So I left.

There was no office or store. I didn't see any sites from where I was standing, and they wouldn't let me past the gate. So there's nothing to evaluate except for the fact that their sign is misleading, which I think is something to evaluate.

I sure wish someone had posted a review warning about that before I got fooled. But if you can't get past the gate, you can't post a review, so there will never be one.

9. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Ah Ha!!! Amazing how things begin to make sense when the old "membership" thing comes into play. I can see where their sign would tend to be a tad misleading tho...............o_O

BankShot............(aka Terry)

NYDutch likes this.
  10. John E. Baker III

John E. Baker III
    Expand Collapse

I'm surprised no one's mentioned them, but there are also reviews on Yelp, FaceBook, TripAdvisor, etc., that would likely allow your information, dbnck. FWIW: I'd be totally cheesed off as well were I in your shoes! Even if the CG is within their "rights" to do this, it doesn't make it RIGHT in the first place!

11. icanon

icanon
    Expand Collapse

I agree that it's some sort of misleading or false advertising.
    But if I've seen this sign along a highway I'd say to myself it's some sort of ‘phishing’, to good to be true or it's just an old sign that was forgotten to be taken down? I'd be ticked off if I had made a detour and wasted my time, fuel and money just to be told 'too bad sucker'!

12. dbnck

dbnck
    Expand Collapse

That was my point. It's a shame that I wasn't allowed to post a review warning people about it, so other people won't make a detour and waste their time, fuel, and money.