Your Best And Your Favorite Rv Park(s)

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by jan-n-john, Aug 24, 2010.

1. jan-n-john

jan-n-john
    Expand Collapse

I haven't seen exactly this topic, so here goes.

Which are the best two or three parks you have ever stayed in.? Money is no object--just the best.

Then, since specific factors will weigh differently with different folks, what are other parks you have stayed in that were especially memorable? Maybe because they were very good value, or had a fabulous view, were on the beach, whatever.

For us the two best parks were probably Traverse Bay RV Resort in Traverse City Michigan, and Crystal Lake RV Resort in Naples Florida. Both these are condo parks oriented to the Really Big Rig set, where you can rent owned lots, and the quality of the facilities shows it. Another very good one is Coastal Georgia RV Resort in Brunswick, Ga. That one is not only nice but it's right off I-95 so a great stopover park.

I suppose we have had several favorites. One certainly is the tiny Low-Key Hideaway Motel and RV Resort in Cedar Key, Florida. Very funky place (both the park and the town) and gorgeous sunsets.

2. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

Frontier town Ocean City, Md. Love the place. Little crowded at times. Amenities; marina, lagoon sites(park your boat behind your trailer), bay front sites, crabbing pier, water park, wild west city and show, restaurant, free buses to OC and Assateauge Is. ( to see the wild ponies and swim in the ocean) and full service general store. It could be pricey at between $50 and $85 a night, depending on your site, but the water park is free for campers, knock of $20 per person because that is what they charge to get in, if you don't camp there. If you get a lagoon site ($85) and have a boat you save $27 a night for not using the marina docks.
    Fishing, crabbing and clamming is great, the boardwalk is outstanding and the island is a beach lovers paradise.

Wellesley Island State Park, Alexandria Bay, NY. Place is huge, must have 500 sites. Only one loop full hook up. Full service marina with boat rentals. Not crowded at all, sites a large. Some sites looking out over the river. Not pricey, $25 a night and $17 for a dock. You can swim in the St Lawrence River, it is crystal clear.
    Take a cruise on a tour boat around the Islands ( there are over 1000 of them), stop at Boldt Castle and walk around a renovated English Castle. Visit the Antique Boat Museum. Fishing is great, hirer a guide, visit a light house or see a freighter go through a lock. There are thee local towns to walk around, shop, or eat in one of the restaurants

These are two of our favorites. I guess I got carried away with my descriptions. Sorry about that. :blink:

Bernadette Newman likes this.
  3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Our all time favorite Family camping trip would have to be hands down Cherrystone Campground in VA, between the crabbing, charter fishing, pools and everything else my kids still talk about that trip.

Camp Hatteras on the OBX in NC was DW and I's favorite, just loved the geography of the dunes out there and the waves and beaches were to die for!

Our favorite local campground would definitely be Odetah in CT.

Mike

4. Trailer Park Casanova

Trailer Park Casanova
    Expand Collapse

The old Disneyland Vacationland RV park was our favorite.
    The company bulldozed it for a parking structure to accompany the failed California Adventure project.

Disney World still has their RV Park and it's pretty good if you study where everything is and take advantage of the transportation available other than the dreadful buses.

It was designed in the 1970's and really hasn't been up graded to accommodate the larger rigs of today, but it's still refurbished and very well maintained. With patience and some time you can negotiate most the RV spots.

Goofy people the local Floridians.
    It's the only state or place we've ever been where neighbor campers roll or walk up and gawk at you.
    They just come up to your RV site and stare.

We find that all over the entire state of Florida. Bizarre.

5. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

My two favorites are both boondocking parks.

Bear Butte State Park in Sturgis, SD

Fort Casey State Park in Coupeville, WA

Both parks don't have hookups. Good places to practice using your generator.

JJ

6. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

I love Disney World's Fort Wilderness. They are in the process of upgrading it. Making sites longer and wider-- I won't comment on the blanket statement about all Floridians! Especially since it came from a member who lives in California near where I used to live--I also like Hart Ranch in Rapid City SD. Gamble Rogers state park in Fla and Jetty Park at Port Canveral are great places near the beach

7. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Wal-Mart in Watts, CA
    Flying J somewhere along I-40.

Now I was just kidding. I think that this is a very hard question and I'll have to give it more thought.

8. MelindaK

MelindaK
    Expand Collapse

I have only been doing this for a short time (not a full timer...that is my dream), but so far my favorite where you could stay a month is Mountain View RV Park & Resort in Creede, Colorado. I could sit there all day and look at the mountains. There are lots of day trips you can take from this location not to mention all things you can do around Creede. My next choise would be Colter Bay Village RV Park in the Grand Tetons, but the max stay is 14 days there. You are 30 minutes from the south entrance of Yellowstone and only an hour from Jackson, Wyoming.

9. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

Our favorite is Dan Nicholas in Salisbury NC. I understand there are train rides, gem mines and things like that but we love to camp there because it is quiet and peaceful. People will walk by and wave but don't cut through your sites or invade your privacy. There is plenty of space between sites so we weren't looking into someone elses campsite. The bath houses are older but very clean and the staff is always friendly. When we are able to get there it is because we choose to do some relaxing. If you ever want to go there to be outside and playing around let me know so I won't go then.....it ALWAYS rains when we go. :D

10. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Nobody said anything about where the campgrounds are located, and as I had the chance of camping in Europe while I worked there I'll include the best I found there. Here is my top ten list in order of preference:

1)
    Campofelice in Tenero, Switzerland
    http://www.camping-ticino.ch/

My favorite, especially impressive in winter. The micro climate of the north end of Lake Maggiore allows for semi-tropical plants out in the open while only a few hundred yards up in altitude you have snow with good skiing conditions. Beautiful mountain vistas with the villas of the rich and famous all around the valley.

2)
    Camping Jungfrau, Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland
    http://www.camping-jungfrau.ch/en/ueber_un....asp?news=close

Beautiful mountain vistas, short walking distance to the world famous mountain trains of Switzerland

3)
    Camping Golden Beach, Skala Panagia , Island of Thassos, Greece
    http://www.camping-goldenbeach.gr/

A not very touristy Greek island, at the time the ferries where pretty small and you had to back up with your travel trailer to get on them. The island is covered in pine trees and this gives a particular taste to the honey of Thassos, the best honey I've ever eaten!

4)
    Camping Don Cactus, Carachuna, Granada - AndalucĂ­a, Spain
    http://www.doncactus.com/

In winter the warmest place of all of Europe, right on the beach!

5)
    Aaregg Familiencampingplatz, Brienz, Switzerland
    http://aaregg.ch/en/Offers/Family_camping

On a beautiful mountain lake, perfect place for one of the most spectacular drives in the world, doing the Grimsel, Furka and Susten Pass in one day.

6)
    Camping Michelangelo, Florence, Italy
    http://www.ecvacanze.it/en/proprieta.php?idp=41

The facilities are not as good as the preceding parks and very crowded in high season, but you are situated on a hill overlooking the old part of Florence, Italy and only a few steps will bring you to the best vantage point for the Ponte Veccio.

7)
    Admiral Robert B. Carney Park, NSA Naples, Italy
    https://www.cnic.navy.mil/navycni/groups/pu...icp_a137783.pdf

A US Navy recreation facility in an extinct crater a few miles north of Naples.

8)
    Hunting Island State Park, South Carolina
    https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/South...a/Beaufort.html

The sanitary facilities need a major overhaul, but it is right on the beach and the campsites are under a canopy of giant pine trees.

9)
    Fort De Soto Campground, Terra Verde, Florida
    https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/Flori...erra_Verde.html

Close to beaches that are among the best ones in the USA, but not realistically walkable while hauling you beach stuff

10)
    Killbear Provincial Park, Parry Sound, Ontario, Canada
    https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/Ontar...arry_Sound.html

Has 7 different campground sections along the shores of Georgian Bay, Lake Huron. Pink sand beaches between granite outcroppings, too bad it's hard to get in to!

11. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

Rafter J Bar Ranch campground near Hill City, SD. We've been here for 10 days and I never want to leave. Beautiful mountains to look at in all directions. Wonderful trails leading from the campground into the Black Hills National Forest. The Mickelson Trail (one of the premier hiking and biking trails in the country) runs alongside the campground. Two streams. Pool, hot tub, store, laundry rooms, bath houses, bike rentals, even gas pumps. Roomy sites. Good playground for the kiddies. Pets welcome. There are actually five separate campgrounds -- you can camp in a meadow or in the pines, depending on whether you want cable tv and wi-fi or want to "rough" it. Excellent big-rig access. Strong wi-fi and decent (but not great) cable tv selection. Good water pressure and steady electric. There are cabins, also. Campfires are allowed (which have been verboten at most of the campgrounds we've stayed at in the last three months). Nice people at the office. They have a pancake breakfast every morning during the summer months. About three miles to Hill City where there is a decent grocery store. Nearest Walmart is in Rapid City, which is a bit of a hike. Convenient to Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park and the 1880 Train. A pleasant drive to Deadwood and Spearfish Canyon. Unfortunately, they're closing for the winter in a couple of weeks, so alas, we must move on. I can't wait to come back next year.

dorcol and Bernadette Newman like this.
  12. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

This one is easy. The best parks are the ones I have all to myself.

13. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

Favorites? Let see.....Watchman campground in Zion National Park. The color of the mountains surrounding one here is beautiful. Red Bluffs Provincial Park, Souris, Prince Edward Island. Wonderful walking beach, warm ocean water and panoramic views of the Strait of Northumberland.
    Finally, Catalina State Park, Tucson. Good hiking through the interesting vegetation of the Sonoran Desert, beautiful sunset views of the Catalina Mountains, and good shade from the p.m. sun.

14. shihtzumomma

shihtzumomma
    Expand Collapse

Hi

I have two favorites so far, Jackson Rancheria rv park in jackson CA. Love the amenities, beautiful scenery. Love the staff you feel like you are home when u go there.

and
    Astoria KOA

15. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

Probably my two favorite are:

River Bend Campground in Oneco, Connecticut. It is not the fanciest, can be a bit crowded and noisy, and tight to manuever in. But my family always has the best time there.

Fort Wilderness in Disney World. I thought the sites were plenty roomy for us (21' trailer), bathrooms were clean, clean, clean. The grounds are beautifully maintained. A lot of activities to do at the campground and all the employees (Cast Members) we met are polite and knowledgable. And.... you are a ferry boat ride away from the Magic Kingdom.

We have a bunch of other campgrounds we like for a variety of reasons, from "rustic" no service campgrounds to full-out resorts. Although, my family has gotten to the point where we really have more fun at the less fancy campgrounds.

16. Piscesman

Piscesman
    Expand Collapse

Inverness Beach Campground, Inverness, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada. Small but well maintained...the beach and the sunsets are to die for....

acadiandave likes this.
  17. riserdude

riserdude
    Expand Collapse

We would have to say our favorite is Cherrystone in Virginia. The summers are great with many actvities for the kids. Pools, waterpark, fishing piers, crabbing, biking, you name it. Have bands on the weekends, movies for kids, a store and restaurant even a laundry. Our kids love it!! Halloween is very nice, good haunted house/hey ride.

18. Annie Maricle

Annie Maricle
    Expand Collapse

:) :) :) QUOTE(MelindaK @ Sep 14 2010, 12:46 AM) [snapback]24080[/snapback]

I have only been doing this for a short time (not a full timer...that is my dream), but so far my favorite where you could stay a month is Mountain View RV Park & Resort in Creede, Colorado. I could sit there all day and look at the mountains. There are lots of day trips you can take from this location not to mention all things you can do around Creede. My next choise would be Colter Bay Village RV Park in the Grand Tetons, but the max stay is 14 days there. You are 30 minutes from the south entrance of Yellowstone and only an hour from Jackson, Wyoming.

I totally agree with Colter Bay Village Rv Park. The area is beyond expression. We love being there. The beauty of the mountains are magnetic to a rv camper. Also, We love Creekside Rv Campgrounds in Pigeon Forge Tenn. Great location to everything in that area. Wish I were in one or the other place right now. :) :) :)

chrisacrossamerica likes this.
  19. DeckmanF

DeckmanF
    Expand Collapse

We are currently enjoying all the state campgrounds in Louisiana...and Kisatchie National Forest was great. The state campgrounds have water and electricity and wifi...and last night we even had our own dock! Of course, with the heat and humidity we need the a/c!

DeckmanF

20. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

That is a hard question to answer.Depends on if you are looking for long stay as full timers or like us that go some where about every month with A few five or six week trips here and there.
    We have been to some really nice ones that were not full hook up so would not want to stay there full time.
    It would be easer to say what is the worst park you have ever been to.But then I guess I am lucky that don't really have a horror story as some I have heard.I guess because we stay at State and Federal parks most of the time.And the privet ones we have been to all were pretty good. :)
    Wink