Re: Aircraft Noise In Virginia Beach

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by BBear, Aug 12, 2007.

1. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

I've read the reviews of both the KOA and Holiday Trav L Park regarding the noise of the aircrafts from the military bases nearby, but I was wondering if the same noise is present at the First Landing State Park that is in the northern part of Virginia Beach?

I'm planning a to take my sister to Virginia Beach and she is mentally and physically challenged and is very sensitive to loud sounds like jets and firecrackers and such and I know that both KOA and Trav L Park are out of the question, but before I make plans for First Landing, I'd thought I'd ask those of you who have stayed there before if there is any loud aircraft noise there.

Thanks for your help. :)

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

BBear,

I may not be the best person to help you because we did not stay at First Landing (we were at Trav-L-Park), but since we spent some time there, I will tell you what I remember. When we were there the jets usually took off from southwest to northeast which would put their path almost over First Landing. However, it looked like many of them made sharp turns just after take-off which took them in a different direction. Several times we parked at the at the northeast corner of the base to watch them take off, and they came right toward and then over us. If you have a map that shows the Oceania NAS you can see how the runway is set up. We were in the First Landing area several times, and I don't recall hearing any jets. However, I may have just tuned them out.

I think there is a member of this forum who is from Virginia Beach, but I can't remember his/her name. Maybe he/she will read this and will give you better information. Other than the jet noise, this is a beautiful area.

3. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the information, Texasrvers!!!

4. Kevin

Kevin
    Expand Collapse

Almost anywere in Eastern VA. you will hear considerable Military aircraft noise. It is a major
    hub of both Naval and Air Force operations. Times, days and seasons make no difference.
    These guys are at it 24/7. Thank God they are on our side! If you're sensitive to loud noises,
    go further inland. (West of I-95) If not, look up at those birds and realize they are there for
    us!

5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

"look up at those birds and realize they are there for us!"

You are so right. It is better to hear the sound of OUR fighter jets taking off rather than the sound of THEIR bombs dropping. Actually when we stayed there we were not bothered by the noise at all. It was loud at times, but most people should be able to tolerate it. However, I do understand that in BBear's case there were extenuating circumstances.

BBear, if you went to Virginia Beach I hope that you had a great time and that your sister was not bothered by the jets.

6. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Sep 9 2007, 10:16 PM) [snapback]8278[/snapback]

"look up at those birds and realize they are there for us!"

You are so right. It is better to hear the sound of OUR fighter jets taking off rather than the sound of THEIR bombs dropping. Actually when we stayed there we were not bothered by the noise at all. It was loud at times, but most people should be able to tolerate it. However, I do understand that in BBear's case there were extenuating circumstances.

BBear, if you went to Virginia Beach I hope that you had a great time and that your sister was not bothered by the jets.

Kevin, thank you for your post and I personally would have loved to stay that close and watch the aircraft...wouldn't have bothered me a bit...in fact, I would have loved it....but unfortunately, it probably would have scared my sister half to death. I would love for my sister to look up at those birds and understand they are there protecting us, but to her they're just something that makes noise that scares her.

Hi Texasrvers, we ended up going to Kitty Hawk in the Outer Banks of NC...unfortunately not too many campgrounds to choose from in upper Outer Banks, so we ended up in a cottage...had a very nice time and didn't rain the entire time we were there!!!