Route 66 and Lincoln Highway

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Fitzjohnfan, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Once again, since things are slow here this time if year, thought I'd post something for discussion sake.

In quite a few years, health and finances permitting, we plan on traversing route 66 one direction and the Lincoln highway (as much as possible) the other. We both love small towns and try to take the "red roads" as much as possible.

Anyone else done either of these, and have any suggestions as to what to see and what to avoid?

Thanks,
    Chris g.

The5goodwins likes this.
  2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hi Chris - I posted below just a couple of attractions along I-80 (the old Lincoln Highway) that may be of interest to you if you make it this far west. We've been to both and both are well worth a stop. The old Empire Mine in Grass Valley, CA is a few miles north off I-80 but is easy to get to and one of the best old mines in CA that you can actually go down into. The Northern Nevada State Museum and Folklife Center is also a great stop and is right off I-80 in Elko. A really great museum with a huge collection of wildlife and art many varieties. Sounds like a trip of a lifetime and I hope you get to do this one. If I turn up anything else interesting will forward to you. As for old Route 66 there are a multitude of stops that will provide you with a whole bunch of memories to take home, including old diners, gas stations, motels, dinosaur statues, the list goes on. Hope the two attractions below will get your traveling juices flowing.............

Regards, Terry..................(aka BankShot)

[​IMG]

10791 E Empire St, Grass Valley, CA, US

Empire Mine State Historic Park

Once you leave Sacramento, you'll drive on I-80 towards the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Here, you'll find the Empire Mine State Historic Park, one of the "oldest, deepest, longest, largest and richest" mines in California. Over 300 miles of passageway produced 5.8 million ounces of gold over the course of 100+ years. In the park there are tours of historic buildings, hiking trails, and the chance to go down into the shaft of the mine, but the coolest feature here is the Secret Room. Few knew about this room's existence while the mine was operational, but it was kept hidden because it contained a scale model of the whole mine's underground system... and today, you can go check it out! It's the best way to really understand just how huge this mine is.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

501 Railroad St, Elko, NV, US

Western Folklife Center

For more interesting history along the highway, stop at the Western Folklife Center. It contains a gallery, museum, and gift shop but it's so much more than just that. They offer concerts, classes, lessons, and tons more, and work to preserve the aspects that make the American West so unique. And, if you're lucky, you'll be passing by here during the annual National Cowboy Poetry Gathering.

Jason Goodwin likes this.
  3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

One more time Chris - Here's the link to the Northeastern Nevada Museum on Idaho Street, the main drag in Elko. Been here also and it is both larger and with a lot more things to see and do than the Wildlife Center. If you get to Elko by all means do make this one of your stops as you will enjoy it immensely. I don't know if this will open by clicking on it but if not then just type it in your browser and you can take a look............... Terry

https://www.museumelko.org/

Jason Goodwin and Paythebill like this.