Rv Or Trailer Age Limit In Parks?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by stitchlips, Sep 10, 2010.

1. stitchlips

stitchlips
    Expand Collapse

I just a post on this forum where someone stated that there are quite a few places that will not let you stay if you have an RV or trailer that is over ten years old.

Is this a common occurrence?

2. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

Most of our travels are east of Mississippi except New England. We have seen age restrictions in a few parks, although not many. Some with age restrictions on units that wish to stay for a month or more have no restrictions on transients. Restricted parks we have seen are mostly higher end "resorts" - most are Class A only commercial parks. I suspect this may become more common if the economy continues to tank and people are forced to try to live in really cheap rvs. JMO.

CaptainAnarchy likes this.
  3. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

There are lots like that and a few resorts that have a 5 year age limit. The park I work in has a 10 year limit for long term stays but none for overnight or weekly stays. I have had some come in that were 5 years old that looked terrible and I have slipped in a couple that were here for a couple of months and were older because of their condition. There are some people that don't even like to spend the night in a park where they have long term campers because they feel they make the park look run down. We insist that monthly renters keep their sites clean and uncluttered and most people don't even know that we have long term visitors.

4. stitchlips

stitchlips
    Expand Collapse

How does that affect the old aisstreams or bus conversion? Some of those are really nice. Is it more of a cosmetic thing? Do you really check the manufacture date of these trailers or do you just ask the owners?

We want to travel and see the country and our budget only allows for us to get a used rv from 5-10 years old. We would like to find a good place and stay a month and then move on but if that is the case then maybe we won't do it at all.

5. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

stitchlips,

You will never run out of places to use an RV in the USA. Only the high end places have this problem. In all our travels we have only found this problem a couple times and if you look OK, no duck tape, you can come into the park. Most parks could not tell me what year our motorhome was by looking at it. So get out of the house and on the road. Have fun!

6. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I have no idea how many parks have an age restriction for RVs, but I would guess they are very few compared to the overall number of parks in the country. We have been RVing for about 10 years, and I can only remember staying at 3-4 parks that have had this restriction, and I agree with what others have said that these places were very high end resorts. In each case we only stayed there a night or two to see how the upper crust lives. These were wonderful places, but we would not want to pay their prices for more that a night or two. If your RV looks nice and is in good working condition, you should have no trouble finding nice places to stay.

7. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

I'll add my 2 cents to John Blue and Texasrvers. Keep from repairing anything with duct tape, blue tarps, cardboard and ropes and you'll be fine. B)

In our 4 years on the road, we rarely see this 5 or 10 year old disclaimer.

There are a couple Outdoor Resorts parks we have checked out. Both have the 10 year thing, (one also limits to Class A's only.) They try to screen folks over the phone when making reservations. (Note: NEITHER of these examples are over night parks. One is REALLY out of the way, and the other has several, less fussy parks, nearby.)

Been in the office of both, when folks have pulled in w/o reservations. Ladies at the desk, got up and looked at the rigs from the door. If the rig was a traditional shape/size, made in the last 20 years, clean, without obvious damage or torn drapes blowing out a window, they passed. Now these parks charge upward of $65 bucks a night. They cater to the high end crowd, but want your camping dollar just like everyone else.

We spent some time this summer in a nice park, that I wish HAD some kind of disclaimer. All the seasonal and full time folks have made adorable container gardens and outdoor seating areas. They all make the effort (yes, even the single guys working in the area) to keep their areas UNCLUTTERED...except one.

Of course his trailer predates the current managment. They are just going to outlast him. I'm giving his rig one more hard winter and the cardboard will give out. :lol:

8. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Sep 11 2010, 06:26 PM) [snapback]24040[/snapback]

Of course his trailer predates the current managment. They are just going to outlast him. I'm giving his rig one more hard winter and the cardboard will give out. :lol:

Foster,
    I think that deserves a picture for the rest of us to 'enjoy'.

Ed.
    B)

9. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(edcornflake @ Sep 14 2010, 10:58 AM) [snapback]24087[/snapback]

Foster, I think that deserves a picture for the rest of us to 'enjoy'.
    Ed. B)

Ok, here goes. First picture.
    I must have reached my limit with this one. I'm definitely hijacking this thread here. Sorry stitchlips. Will try a new thread with a close up.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      154.2 KB
      Views:
  10. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

11. AngelB

AngelB
    Expand Collapse

Have run into this more than a few times in Texas. Jellystone in particular had the age restriction.
    More off the path you go, the less restrictive.

12. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Sep 14 2010, 03:58 PM) [snapback]24091[/snapback]

Ok, here goes. First picture.
    I must have reached my limit with this one. I'm definitely hijacking this thread here. Sorry stitchlips. Will try a new thread with a close up.

LOL... I think I was next to that spot a few years ago :)

13. EMDQueen

EMDQueen
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(edcornflake @ Sep 14 2010, 11:58 AM) [snapback]24087[/snapback]

Foster,
    I think that deserves a picture for the rest of us to 'enjoy'.

Ed.
    B)

Been parked next to some that make that look good! LOL! I have taken a good picture of our unit and put it on the computer. If I want to stay at a park with an age requirement, I email them the photo and ask for a determination. I also have stayed at 55+ parks even though I am under 50. Most of those are just wanting to cater to the no kid crowd and have allowed us in no problem. They don't seem to care how old my money is.

14. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(EMDQueen @ Dec 2 2010, 09:42 PM) [snapback]25022[/snapback]

... They don't seem to care how old my money is ...

:lol:
    Good one EMDQueen.
    Welcome aboard!

Foster Imposters
    (fulltimers originally from southern California)

15. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

Interesting subject and I think it should not be the unit's age that counts but the condition of the unit.
    You may have a 2 years old rig smashed or in poor conditions and according to the limitation, it should be allowed to enter in that camp and others of 5 or 10 or... years old in mint condition and I don't see why they should be penalised for the age.
    I think the limitation should be changed to read, not in good condition and then, you have to define the statement of GOOD CONDITIONS.
    It is a can of warmssssss.

16. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

Many of the snowbird parks have a 10 year age limit for long-term visitors. Some of the "destination" parks in most areas also do that. Very few, if any parks that cater to the shorter term visitor and the traveling public do that or even concern themselves with it. I also think that the majority of the parks that have the 10 year limit are also 55+ parks. It has never been a problem for us as the only time that we were refused admission it was because our motorhome did not cost enough. As we turned around, we noticed that all we saw in the campsites were Prevosts, Newells and Marathons. I think that there was one lowly Dutch Star as well.

17. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

I think we could get in any park with our little motorhome. We only have three rolls of duck tape on it so far. Prevosts and Newells move over here we come.[attachmentid=208]

Attached Files:

18. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Kirk @ Feb 27 2011, 10:25 PM) [snapback]25526[/snapback]

Many of the snowbird parks have a 10 year age limit for long-term visitors. Some of the "destination" parks in most areas also do that. Very few, if any parks that cater to the shorter term visitor and the traveling public do that or even concern themselves with it. I also think that the majority of the parks that have the 10 year limit are also 55+ parks. It has never been a problem for us as the only time that we were refused admission it was because our motorhome did not cost enough. As we turned around, we noticed that all we saw in the campsites were Prevosts, Newells and Marathons. I think that there was one lowly Dutch Star as well.

My lowly 1952 GMC Trailways coach isn't too welcome in some places. Many, not all, pronounce Prevost as Pray-vo and you must stick your nose up in the air when you say it to the crowd that can't afford them. LOL

19. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Feb 28 2011, 09:35 AM) [snapback]25531[/snapback]

My lowly 1952 GMC Trailways coach isn't too welcome in some places. Many, not all, pronounce Prevost as Pray-vo and you must stick your nose up in the air when you say it to the crowd that can't afford them. LOL

Love it Dalsgal, especially the nose in the air thing! By the way, Pray-vo is the correct pronunciation, they are manufactured not too far from where I live in the Province of Québec. Still, one might think it has something to do with "I pray, somebody else might pay...."

20. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(wprigge @ Feb 28 2011, 02:04 PM) [snapback]25532[/snapback]

Love it Dalsgal, especially the nose in the air thing! By the way, Pray-vo is the correct pronunciation, they are manufactured not too far from where I live in the Province of Québec. Still, one might think it has something to do with "I pray, somebody else might pay...."

I was just researching camp grounds.I ran across one that said no units older than 1998.And a few that stated unit must be in good repair which makes more since than putting a date on a unit that can camp there.I will go along with not letting some of the stuff I have seen camp there. :unsure: